Will Asterisk Meet These Requirements

Hi all,

I’ve been asked by a client to look at Asterisk in order to build an automated survey system. This survey system has to be enhanced such that the besides making choices with the keypad the surveyee can also leave audio comments which must be recorded.

There are a number of areas that I’m not quite sure if Asterisk can handle that I would like to just clarify.

1. The automated system might need to send a few DTMF tones to get through to various extensions and I know some of the surveyees will be on SIP phones. How well does Asterisk do in sending DTMF to SIP?

2. Following on from 1, we’re considering putting the Asterisk server in a data center and calling via SIP out to the PSTN via a company like Vonage. Again, will sending DTMF tones be an issue? Anyone know of any VoIP companies that handle DTMF nicely? How nicely does Asterisk handle SIP calls generally?

3. I hope to be controlling the logic of the system via the AGI. From my brief reading of the Asterisk docs it seems that AGI is primarily for incoming calls. Is AGI easily usable for outgoing calls?

4. Will it be too much of a problem that Asterisk does not connect the suerveyee to an extension? In this system the call doesn’t leave the Asterisk system. Will this be a problem?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Skip

[quote=“Skip”]Hi all,

I’ve been asked by a client to look at Asterisk in order to build an automated survey system. This survey system has to be enhanced such that the besides making choices with the keypad the surveyee can also leave audio comments which must be recorded.[/quote]

At a high level, yes, Asterisk will meet these requirements.

Asterisk does fine using either in-band (okay for G711 codecs, etc) and out-of-band (RFC2833 and okay for G729 codecs, etc).

Fine on all accounts. Although I would recommend voipjet.com for inbound/outbound needs.

The AGI is triggered by an incoming event/call and then may be used to treat that call as well as generate an outbound call. You need to look at the ManagerAPI and call files to have an understanding of how to generate automated outbound dialing.

No, it is possible to complete surveys and disconnect the call without ever involving a living body.

Hi MuppetMaster,

Thanks for your answers.

With respect to Q3, once a call has been placed (either via the AMI or call file) it is possible for control of the call to then revert to the AGI by setting up a context of the call? Is there a way to delay the script starting till the called party picks up?