Which Audio-Codec is used with H.264 Video?

Hey there

Currently I’m writing on a professional article about Asterisk and Video-Calling.
One of the questions we want to answer is “What is the audio-quality like in a Video-Call?”

Can anybody tell me which Audio-Codec is used in combination with H.264 in Asterisk?
If I’m not completely wrong you can use H.264 with different Audio-Codecs.

Thank you very much and kind regards
Daniel

They are negotiated independently and the one used and which ones can be used in general depends on the underlying client itself.

Wow. You are absolutely incredible. I never got that fast a reply to a community-question in my life. Thank you.

I checked my Bria-Softphone on my iPhone. What I can select is the Video-Codec. And I can select the SIP-Audio-Codec like G.722. Is it that what you meant? Does the standard SIP-Audio-Codec of the SIP-Peer get combined with H.264 as Video-Codec?

Kind regards
Daniel

They don’t get combined precisely. It negotiates separate media streams. One carries audio, one carries video. They aren’t muxed or combined together for transport.

No. I understand. The SIP-Protocol will say everything about the Audio-Stream and everything about the Video-Stream. But now I understand that I can configure audio exactly the same way like I do it for Non-Video-Calls.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.