Voicemail no stutter tone message indicator

HI all,
I managed to get Asterisk fully functional. I am having issues with Voicemail stuttering Tone to indicate Voicemail waiting. Below is my Zapata.conf
I am using X-Lite Softsip phone… Not sure if this makes a difference.
I thought it was a simple as placing the “mailbox=200” in the zapata.conf
but no joy with that route.

Thanks
Hang10

; Zapata telephony interface
;
; Configuration file

[trunkgroups]

[channels]

language=en
context=from-pstn
signalling=fxs_ks
rxwink=300 ; Atlas seems to use long (250ms) winks
;
; Whether or not to do distinctive ring detection on FXO lines
;
;usedistinctiveringdetection=yes

usecallerid=yes
hidecallerid=no
callwaiting=yes
usecallingpres=yes
callwaitingcallerid=yes
threewaycalling=yes
transfer=yes
cancallforward=yes
callreturn=yes
echocancel=yes
echocancelwhenbridged=no
echotraining=800
rxgain=0.0
txgain=0.0
group=0
callgroup=1
pickupgroup=1
immediate=no
mailbox=200

;faxdetect=both
faxdetect=incoming
;faxdetect=outgoing
;faxdetect=no

;Include genzaptelconf configs
#include zapata-auto.conf

;Include AMP configs
#include zapata_additional.conf

It has been my experience that stutter dial tone is not provided by Asterisk. In fact, none of the “tones” that you hear in your phone are generated by Asterisk at all, but rather the phone set that you use. The exception being when you use an Analog phone line with an FXS card. Then the tones are provided by Asterisk.

In a traditional telephone system, the state of the phone line is known by the PBX/Switch, and the appropriate tones are played to the caller accordingly. (Dial tone, stutter dial tone, ringback, busy signal, etc…)

In VOIP systems, it’s very different. Tones are generated by the phone set itself. For example, the VOIP system might send a status message to the set to tell it to activate a message waiting lamp. This same message would tell the phone set to also play stutter dial tone, instead of steady dial tone, when the user lifts the handset.

If the phone set is not programmed to generate a new tone type based on the status message it gets from the VOIP system, it’s not supported.

In your case, X-Lite does not. X-Lite doesn’t provide any message waiting indications. Also, to provide message waiting indications to a Softphone, you would put the mailbox=200 line in your sip.conf file, not in the zapata.conf file.

Putting mailbox=200 in your zapata.conf changes would affect an analog phone that you might have connected to an FXS line in your Asterisk system. That’s about it.

If you would like to use a SIP Softphone that does provide message waiting indications, may I suggest that you try SJPhone. It’s not stutter dial tone, it’s a red dot and a message in the status window, but it’s still quite useful.

sjlabs.com/sjp.html

Thanks for replying. That clears some things up.

bunji

Hi,

I have the same problem (voicemail indicator) with my IP Phone (Soyo G668), my softphone (kiax, may be doesn’t have this functionality), and my DEC on FXS (have this indicator working with it when directly connected to my PSTN provider France Telecom).
The most important for me is the DEC (Philips Xalio 200 Duo) :
www2.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcb … =FR&slg=fr

Someone knows what I can try ?

Thanks.

how about this

voip-info.org/wiki/view/Aste … extensions

I don’t understand what I can do with that, really sorry…

I got it !

That’s because of AMP, it creates voicemail boxes in @device context instead of @default.
And, I don’t know why, it didn’t create the symlinks in /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/device/ for my last extensions, as it done for the others.
I just did :
ln -s /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/* /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/device/

and all works very well now on my DEC (FXS) and my Soyo

Sorry for the noise.