Voicemail + g729 = silence

I have a PSTN phone connected to an SPA3000. I have the Line 1 of the SPA3k set to g729. I have 4 g729 licenses on my asterisk server (trixbox 1.1.1). I can place both voip calls and pstn calls with the phone. However, if I dial the voicemail I get silence. I checked the asterisk console and this is what it spits out while I’m trying to call the voicemail:

-- Executing Macro("SIP/500-0293", "get-vmcontext|500") in new stack -- Executing Set("SIP/500-0293", "VMCONTEXT=default") in new stack -- Executing GotoIf("SIP/500-0293", "0?200:300") in new stack -- Goto (macro-get-vmcontext,s,300) -- Executing NoOp("SIP/500-0293", "") in new stack -- Executing VoiceMailMain("SIP/500-0293", "500@default") in new stack -- Playing 'vm-password' (language 'en') -- Incorrect password '' for user '500' (context = default) -- Playing 'vm-incorrect' (language 'en') -- Playing 'vm-password' (language 'en') -- Incorrect password '' for user '500' (context = default) -- Playing 'vm-incorrect' (language 'en') -- Playing 'vm-password' (language 'en') -- Incorrect password '' for user '500' (context = default) -- Playing 'vm-incorrect' (language 'en') -- Playing 'vm-goodbye' (language 'en') -- Executing Macro("SIP/500-0293", "hangupcall|") in new stack -- Executing ResetCDR("SIP/500-0293", "w") in new stack -- Executing NoCDR("SIP/500-0293", "") in new stack -- Executing Wait("SIP/500-0293", "5") in new stack

and if I type show g729 during the call:
4/0 encoders/decoders of 4 licensed channels are currently in use

Then, after I hang up, all 4 licenses are held on to until I restart the asterisk service (asterisk -rx “restart now”).

I can check the voicemail from my softphone with no problems. What’s going on here?

After reading a bit more and understanding what my problem is it looks similar to this thread:
forums.digium.com/viewtopic.php?t=8518

Which is unresolved after what looks like quite some effort so that discourages me a bit…

I just purchased a handful of the G.729 licenses and had the same problem. I contacted Digium and they sent me a different G.729 codec and that cleared up the problem. If you PM with an email address, I’ll send it to you.