Using asterisk for call tracking & recording

Hello everyone,

I’m new to Asterisk and I have a few questions:

I would like to set up a series of phone numbers that forward to other phone numbers, and in the process log & record the call. For example, you would call (212) 555-2011 and it would instantly be forwarded to, say, (201) 555-6844. When it forwards, the call would be logged and recorded.

If this doesn’t make sense, please ask and I can try and explain it in more detail.

For those curious, I am using this for SEO so I can track the number of people calling me through my websites.

I need to do this for 5-10 incoming/outgoing phone numbers.

Is this something I can accomplish with Asterisk? If so, what equipment, accounts, etc. would I need to set up to make it possible? I did some reading on Wikipedia about Asterisk and also the Oriell Asterisk pdf book that someone else posted here in the forums, but couldn’t find an answer. I would appreciate a “for dummies” explanation… I have Linux sysadmin & programming experience but not much in the way of VOIP, SIP, etc.

thank you in advance for your time and help,
commmmodo

Yes you can do that, but if you already want to setup an asterisk server the integrate it with your web page with a callback button or skype for asterisk channel or even a click2call java widget. No matters what way you choose for integrate this communication in all you can Log an Record the calls.

What do you need? From your description at least 10 number lines, 5 for receiving the incomings calls and the other 5 lines to forward the incoming to another PSTN number.

You can use remote extensions, if you want to reduce the PSTN line costs and route the incoming PSTN numbers to extensions trough internet.

Thank you,

Can you explain how I would do this? I am a newbie with all of this VOIP and Asterisk stuff…

• How do I get the physical numbers to forward to my asterisk server?
  • What does it cost?
  • How do I place calls from the asterisk server?
  • What are recommended companies (in the Asterisk community) who provide these connections to the phone system?
  • Is the voice recording functionality built into Asterisk?

sorry, a lot of questions! :smile:

If you have any sites or tutorials that would help me explain this better, too, I would appreciate it.

commmmmmodo