Upgrase from 1.4 to 1.6 caused segmentation fault!

I tried to upgrade my system from 1.4 to 1.6 yesterday and I got a segmentation fault

== Parsing ‘/etc/asterisk/sip_registrations.conf’: == Found
== Parsing ‘/etc/asterisk/sip_custom.conf’: == Found
== Parsing ‘/etc/asterisk/sip_additional.conf’: == Found
== Parsing ‘/etc/asterisk/sip_custom_post.conf’: == Found
== Parsing ‘/etc/asterisk/users.conf’: == Found
== Parsing ‘/etc/asterisk/phoneprov.conf’: == Found
res_phoneprov.so => (HTTP Phone Provisioning)
res_speech.so => (Generic Speech Recognition API)
Segmentation fault

and then when I tried to restarts to service I keep getting

Automatically restarting Asterisk.
/usr/sbin/safe_asterisk: line 145: 7553 Segmentation fault (core dumped) nice -n $PRIORITY ${ASTSBINDIR}/asterisk -f ${CLIARGS} ${ASTARGS} > /dev/${TTY} 2>&1 < /dev/${TTY}
Asterisk ended with exit status 139
Asterisk exited on signal 11.

I am using FreePBX and I my initial installation was done by using wget and make commands. TO upgrade to 1.6, I first tried with yum, but I got a segmentation fault, so then I tried with wget and make, and installed everything except the samples files since I do not want to loose my current configuration. I got the segmentation fault which I showed above.

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks,

Pikau

Now I did the “make samples”, thinking that this would rewrite all the configuration files and solve the problem…

Now I get this error message

== AGI Command ‘speech activate grammar’ registered
== AGI Command ‘speech deactivate grammar’ registered
== AGI Command ‘speech recognize’ registered
== Registered application ‘DeadAGI’
== Registered application ‘EAGI’
== Manager registered action AGI
== Registered application 'AGI’
res_agi.so => (Asterisk Gateway Interface (AGI))
== Parsing ‘/etc/asterisk/smdi.conf’: == Found
[Aug 20 10:06:12] NOTICE[10672]: res_smdi.c:1360 load_module: No SMDI interfaces are available to listen on, not starting SMDI listener.
== Registered custom function ‘PP_EACH_USER’
== Registered custom function ‘PP_EACH_EXTENSION’
== Parsing ‘/etc/asterisk/sip.conf’: == Found
== Parsing ‘/etc/asterisk/users.conf’: == Found
== Parsing ‘/etc/asterisk/phoneprov.conf’: == Found
res_phoneprov.so => (HTTP Phone Provisioning)
res_speech.so => (Generic Speech Recognition API)
[Aug 20 10:06:12] [color=#FF0000]WARNING[/color][10672]: loader.c:429 load_dynamic_module: Error loading module ‘res_features.so’: /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/res_features.so: undefined symbol: manager_event
[Aug 20 10:06:12] [color=#FF0000]WARNING[/color][10672]: loader.c:797 load_resource: Module ‘res_features.so’ could not be loaded.
[Aug 20 10:06:12] [color=#FF0000]WARNING[/color][10672]: loader.c:429 load_dynamic_module: Error loading module ‘chan_ooh323.so’: /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/chan_ooh323.so: undefined symbol: ast_rtp_settos
[Aug 20 10:06:12] [color=#FF0000]WARNING[/color][10672]: loader.c:797 load_resource: Module ‘chan_ooh323.so’ could not be loaded.
[Aug 20 10:06:12] [color=#FF0000]WARNING[/color][10672]: loader.c:429 load_dynamic_module: Error loading module ‘app_saycountpl.so’: /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/app_saycountpl.so: undefined symbol: ast_register_application
[Aug 20 10:06:12] [color=#FF0000]WARNING[/color][10672]: loader.c:797 load_resource: Module ‘app_saycountpl.so’ could not be loaded.
[Aug 20 10:06:12] [color=#FF0000]WARNING[/color][10672]: loader.c:429 load_dynamic_module: Error loading module ‘app_settransfercapability.so’: /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/app_settransfercapability.so: undefined symbol: ast_register_application
[Aug 20 10:06:12] [color=#FF0000]WARNING[/color][10672]: loader.c:797 load_resource: Module ‘app_settransfercapability.so’ could not be loaded.
[Aug 20 10:06:12] [color=#FF0000]WARNING[/color][10672]: loader.c:429 load_dynamic_module: Error loading module ‘app_lookupblacklist.so’: /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/app_lookupblacklist.so: undefined symbol: ast_custom_function_register
[Aug 20 10:06:12] [color=#FF0000]WARNING[/color][10672]: loader.c:797 load_resource: Module ‘app_lookupblacklist.so’ could not be loaded.
[Aug 20 10:06:12] [color=#FF0000]WARNING[/color][10672]: loader.c:429 load_dynamic_module: Error loading module ‘res_config_mysql.so’: /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/res_config_mysql.so: undefined symbol: ast_config_load
[Aug 20 10:06:12] [color=#FF0000]WARNING[/color][10672]: loader.c:797 load_resource: Module ‘res_config_mysql.so’ could not be loaded.

Segmentation fault
[root@localhost asterisk-1.6.2.11]#

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe I should reinstall from scratch by first removing any trace of previous version, but how do we do that when we use “make” to install Asterisk? Which folders and/or files need to be removed?

The most likely cause of this is that you have failed to remove a version 1.4 module. The warnings about missing symbols also indicate that you have modules that don’t match the main executable.

Configuration file errors should never cause a segmentation fault. If you find a case where they do, and you are sure you do not have any version mis-matches, you should raise it on issues.asterisk.org.