Unable to request channel DAHDI

I am moving an asterisk install to a new machine, the old machine was based on asterisk 1.2 (on Fedora Core 4), the new is (on Centos 5.4.) I have a Digium TDM400P PCI card and an FXO module on port 4.

I am not new to Linux but in asterisk I would call myself a newbie. I installed asterisk using yum, I installed dahdi from source. All the dahdi tools seem to work and it looks like the card is working correctly. Asterisk starts and runs just fine but when I run:

CLI>originate DAHDI/4/1234567 extension

I get:

NOTICE[2843]: channel.c:3812 __ast_request_and_dial: Unable to request channel DAHDI/4/1234567

CLI>dahdi show channels:
Chan Extension Context Language MOH Interpret Blocked State
pseudo internal default In Service
4 internal default In Service

CLI>dahdi show channel 4:
Channel: 4
File Descriptor: 10
Span: 1
Dialing: no
Context: internal
Caller ID:
Calling TON: 0
Caller ID name:
Mailbox: none
Destroy: 0
InAlarm: 0
Signalling Type: FXS Kewlstart
Radio: 0
Confno: -1
Propagated Conference: -1
Real in conference: 0
DSP: no
Busy Detection: no
TDD: noI>
Relax DTMF: no
Dialing/CallwaitCAS: 0/0
Default law: ulaw
Fax Handled: no
Pulse phone: no
DND: no
Echo Cancellation:
128 taps
(unless TDM bridged) currently OFF
Actual Confinfo: Num/0, Mode/0x0000
Actual Confmute: No
Hookstate (FXS only): Onhook

In the old server everything is ZAP, I noticed this changed and renamed files accordingly and changed entries in the extensions.conf file.

I am at a loss, if you have any idea where to look I would be very appreciative.


Please, show us your /etc/dahdi/system.conf and /etc/asterisk/chan_dahdi.conf.


fxsks=4 echocanceller=mg2,4 loadzone = us defaultzone = us

[channels] echocancel=yes context=internal signalling=fxs_ks channel=4
Appreciate the help man,

weird problem, everything looks fine.

Stop asterisk and then run asterisk -vvvvvvcf, then browse in your console -up direction- for error messages in the load if you see an error in the load of dahdi driver put here the output.

If not, I think a reinstall from sources maybe will solve the issue.

Since that generated a large amount of output I have only pasted any lines that are of abnormal condition:

[code][Jan 5 10:44:25] WARNING[2865]: res_musiconhold.c:961 moh_scan_files: Cannot open dir /var/lib/asterisk/moh or dir does not exist
[Jan 5 10:44:25] WARNING[2865]: res_musiconhold.c:1744 load_module: No music on hold classes configured, disabling music on hold.

[Jan 5 10:44:25] ERROR[2865]: codec_dahdi.c:618 find_transcoders: Failed to open /dev/dahdi/transcode: No such file or directory

[Jan 5 10:44:25] WARNING[2865]: utils.c:1427 __ast_string_field_init: trying to reset empty pool
[Jan 5 10:44:25] WARNING[2865]: utils.c:1427 __ast_string_field_init: trying to reset empty pool
[Jan 5 10:44:25] WARNING[2865]: utils.c:1427 __ast_string_field_init: trying to reset empty pool

[Jan 5 10:44:25] WARNING[2865]: translate.c:641 __ast_register_translator: plc_samples 160 format f

If nothing here looks to you like the problem I will take your advice and try a from source install.


Googling only found this pageAs you can read that problem is for no dahdi hardware in that case.

So my next question is: what is the output for: the command lsdahdi in the terminal.

I think is better starting to download the sources for dahdi-linux, dahdi-tools, asterisk and asterisk-addons. Before compile check all dependencies.

[code]# lsdahdi

Span 1: WCTDM/4 “Wildcard TDM400P REV I Board 5” (MASTER)


I guess I’ll remove the rpm install and start on the source, will post back here with my results in a few days probably depending on how much time I have to work on it.

Compiling from source resulted in exactly the same error. I purchased a new card since I should probably have a backup card anyways, and I was getting tired to having to swap the existing card back and fourth between the new machine and the old one. Now lsdahdi outputs:

### Span 1: WCTDM/0 "Wildcard TDM410P Board 1" (MASTER) 1 FXO FXSKS 2 FXO FXSKS 3 FXO FXSKS 4 FXO FXSKS (In use) RED

I am probably carrying over some config from the old box that is causing my problem… will keep working on it.

After banging my head on my desk for a bit I decided to uninstall the DAHDI stuff and delete all the configs and start from scratch, reinstalled the DAHDI rpm’s, re-ran the config gens, and for some reason it worked. Asterisk is now functioning as expected. Not sure exactly why this fixed it since it looked like nothing really changed but I won’t complain. Thanks for your help anyways!