Status and perspectives of asterisk package on Debian Bookworm

You can take the sources here GitHub - wazo-platform/asterisk: Asterisk Debian packaging and patches for Wazo and adapt it for your usage.

Oh. Blast. seems i need to learn how to compile asterisk.
I hate compiling.

@Daft_Dutch
At the moment, on a fresh Bookworm install, you don’t have to: you just have to add unstable repo to your Bookworm stable ones Asterisk 20.2 binary will be installed just as usual.

When upgrading from Bullseye, extra care is probably needed.
Maybe de-installing Asterisk, upgrading Debian, adding unstable repo, installing Asterisk can do it.

Hi,

I’m just a Debian user/admin nothing more so this is my point of view. I really like both Debian and Asterisk and I’m very grateful both projects exist as they make possible many things for me.

I have used Asterisk packages from Debian in production for years without issues and while I don’t think it’s the first time Asterisk does not make it into a Debian release, I think the last time this happened was a long ago so this also surprised me.

I must say I don’t agree with this idea of never using Debian packages for Asterisk referring to how old they are. Unless the information provided by All Asterisk Versions is incorrect, the Asterisk version shipped with Debian 11 (16.28.0) is still supported by Asterisk security wise. And that is all I need, a stable and secure package. If I really need an Asterisk feature not available on Debian then I’ll gladly consider compiling.

The way Debian handles security updates is great for me as a user/admin. It tries really hard to apply security patches without removing or breaking current functionality. Depending on how upstream handles security patches this could be very hard to achieve.

As to what the Asterisk community could do to help. I guess having a clear policy on what gets changed on which supported release would be great, maybe adopt semantic versioning?. As an example of this, I’m not so sure when Asterisk 16 entered the security fix only stage, but after upgrading to v16.18+ I realized I lost functionality in queues where the updatecdr parameter no longer exist. Also stir_shaken got huge changes too and geolocation was added some time after. New features are always welcome, but breaking changes on the same mayor release are a nightmare for package maintainers and users that want to stay secure but are not ready to upgrade yet.

I’ll keep Debian 11 and Asterisk 16 for now as it works great for me. Hopefully Debian will find more developers to be able to package Asterisk for the next release.

Thanks again for Asterisk, it’s very useful.

We try extremely hard to not break things even between major releases, and document changes in both the CHANGES file[1] as well as the UPGRADE.txt file[2]. There’s also a page on the documentation site for releases including timeline[3] and notices go out in various places with reminders.

In regards to your comment about updatecdr, I looked it up and the option was removed because it didn’t actually work any longer[4], as its functionality was removed as part of Asterisk 12. The option did absolutely nothing since Asterisk 12.

From a policy perspective changes can’t break existing functionality or configuration, unless absolutely necessary (such as a serious security issue, or a fundamental change to have the functionality work).

Are we perfect? No, but the number of people who upgrade and have issues has diminished substantially and it is uncommon now.

[1] asterisk/CHANGES at 16.30.0 · asterisk/asterisk · GitHub
[2] asterisk/UPGRADE.txt at 16.30.0 · asterisk/asterisk · GitHub
[3] Asterisk Versions - Asterisk Documentation
[4] [ASTERISK-26614] app_queue: updatecdr option in queues.conf does effectively nothing - Digium/Asterisk JIRA

Thanks for the quick reply and the JIRA link with the updatecdr issue. It’s great news for me to know that the removal of updatecdr from app_queue won’t have any effect. I did read the CHANGES but everything there was related to agents and not queues so I was not sure what to expect.

As for “perfect” I don’t think anything is, mistakes will be made and they should be expected. That’s why we have patches. As long as the policies are in place and honored as best as possible, that’s all anyone can ask from the Asterisk community.

Thanks again.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.