[Solved] Voicemail not working after server move

I decided to upgrade the asterisk server to a decent machine(3GHz Hyperthreaded 1GB RAM) instead of the old 500MHz 192MB RAM and for some reason I can’t figure out, the voicemail doesn’t work properly on the new server.

I installed asterisk from the debian squeeze repo on a Mepis 11 install and copied the config files I had modified from the old server to the new one(extentions, sip and voicemail) as well as the voicemail folder.
All the ownership has been changed to asterisk:asterisk and I’ve made sure the asterisk user has full permission on all files.

When I try to access the voicemail, it tells me my password is wrong even though I can see in the CLI that it’s right and when someone calls, it tells me “No entry in voicemail config file for ‘###@default’” where ### is my extension number and if I try to set “searchcontexts=yes” it simply tells “No entry in voicemail config file for ‘###’”

The version changed from to so I assumed there wasn’t any change that could affect the configuration but you never know.

Any idea what cause cause this? I’ve searched for a while last night and this morning and couldn’t find anything that solved my problem. I can post my config if necessary, but I doubt it is since it worked on the old server and it’s an exact copy.

Just a thought, did you check the value of ‘astspooldir’ in the asterisk.conf file? You did not state you copied that from the old system, perhaps it is different from what you had.

I didn’t move it since I never touched that file, but I just checked and they are set to the same path.

Thanks for the suggestion.

From the CLI, what is the output of:

voicemail show users

module reload app_voicemail

There are no voicemail users currently defined
Command ‘voicemail show users’ failed.


– Reloading module ‘app_voicemail.so’ (Comedian Mail (Voicemail System))

Here’s my voicemail.conf without the comments:



emaildateformat=%A, %B %d, %Y at %r


eastern=America/New_York|‘vm-received’ Q ‘digits/at’ IMp
central=America/Chicago|‘vm-received’ Q ‘digits/at’ IMp
central24=America/Chicago|‘vm-received’ q ‘digits/at’ H N 'hours’
military=Zulu|‘vm-received’ q ‘digits/at’ H N ‘hours’ 'phonetic/z_p’
european=Europe/Copenhagen|‘vm-received’ a d b ‘digits/at’ HM

101 => 1234,Sam Kook,Sam@kook.com,tz=eastern[/code]

The extension infos are fake here but entered in the same way.

I copied your conf to my lab machine and it works fine.

Of the ‘voicemail show users’ returns an errors as you report, it either cannot find the config file or there are no users defined.

Since the syntax is correct and works in the lab, I have to look at either the location of the file or the permissions to the file.

One other thought, is it possible the SELinux is installed and running? This may cause access problems to the config file if it does not have the correct security context. You could try disabling it if it is currently running.

Hmm, I don’t have SELinux installed so I checked the permissions once again(the location is with all the other config file so I was pretty sure it was right) and they were like the other files: rw-r----- 1 asterisk asterisk
and I overwrote the current voicemail file with a backup of the one I pasted here(which also didn’t work, has practically the same things inside and has the exact same permissions) since I tried the unmodified backup of the old server earlier today.
When I reloaded the app_voicemail module, it parsed it as well as the users.conf file and I can see my user now.

I still have no idea why it wasn’t working before, but it is now.

Thanks for all your help.

Glad to hear it is working now.

I wonder if there was some sort of embedded control character in the file that was having problems. I tried putting a null in the file, but it still worked fine. But I am on 1.8.6 in the lab so who know.