SIP TCP Support in Asterisk 1.6.2.11

I’m using Asterisk 1.6.2.11 as a call manager for CISCO IP Phones, and trying to configure SIP protocol to use TCP.

I’ve modified the sip.conf file to specify:

[dump2040-1040]
type=peer
host=192.168.10.40
tcpenable=yes
tcpbindaddr=0.0.0.0
callcounter=yes
transport=tcp
tlsbindaddr=0.0.0.0
port=5060

I’ve restarted the Asterisk all manager after modifying sip.conf, but SIP is still using UDP. Any ideas on why it is still using UDP?

Howdy,

These:

tcpenable=yes
tcpbindaddr=0.0.0.0

parameters need to appear in the [general] section, not in the peer definition section(s).

Thanks.

I made the suggested changes, but still have issues. I thought specifying “transport=tcp” in the peer definition section would make Asterisk use TCP. Despite the changes specified, SIP still uses UDP (verified with the Wireshark pcap tool). I have noticed, however that Asterisk is in fact listening for tcp traffic on port 5060.

I have two Asterisk instances running on two separate servers on a local network. One Cisco IP phone is connected to each Asterisk instance. The two Cisco IP Phones are using Skinny. The Asterisk instances talk to each other using SIP, instead of IAX. I need this particular setup as I am running a software that analyzes the TCP packets.

Perhaps your client then is not attempting TCP, but instead only UDP?

We have a network in which there are two Call Managers (CMs), and the communication between them is by SIP. Two Cisco VoIP phones (each serviced by a CM) are to make calls between them, and they transmit UDP packets. We want the SIP to be over TCP.

Below’s the gist of our sip.conf file:

[general]
context=default
;udpbindaddr=0.0.0.0
tcpenable=yes
tcpbindaddr=0.0.0.0

[%identifier%]
type=peer
host=%host-ip%
transport=tcp
port=5060
context=%context-name-on-peer%
disallow=all

allow=ulaw
;allow=gsm
;allow=g726
;allow=ilbc
;allow=lpc10

Appreciate your continuing help on this.

So it’s Cisco Phone SIP UDP > CCM > SIP via UDP > CCM > Cisco Phone SIP UDP ?

Where’s Asterisk supposed to be in this picture?

Asterisk’s are used as the Call Managers in our set-up (we don’t use
Cisco CMs). They use Skinny to talk to the phones and SIP to communicate
between the themselves. So:

Cisco Phone Skinny (UDP?/TCP?) > Asterisk > SIP via UDP > Asterisk >
Cisco Phone Skinny (UDP?/TCP?)

We want to use SIP via TCP between the two Asterisks. The phones have
the SCCP firmware. We are trying to avoid replacing the firmware to SIP.
I do not know if the phones use UDP or TCP to communicate with Asterisk.

Thanks.

Hi,

If you are using Asterisk 1.6 .You can try out Chan_SCCP to connect cisco phones with out changing to SIP.
Below given are the links you can look into it

[bughira.wordpress.com/2008/06/20 ... sk-part-i/](http://bughira.wordpress.com/2008/06/20/cisco-skinny-phones-and-asterisk-part-i/)
 [chan-sccp-b.sourceforge.net](http://chan-sccp-b.sourceforge.net)
 [chan-sccp.org/](http://chan-sccp.org/)

Please do update the result :smile:

Cheers,
Magesh

mageshwaran:

The Skinny aspect of this seems to be a red herring. He is only interested in an Asterisk to Asterisk SIP connection.

Yes, as david55 pointed out, in our set-up connection of Phone1–CM1–CM2–Phone2, we’re interested in making the SIP signaling between CM1–CM2 run over TCP (currently, it runs over UDP). Thanks.