SIP Registration failure

I am seeing my phones continuously sending a:
SUBSCRIBE sip:1@:5061 SIP/2.0

These phones have registered correctly with their assigned extensions and everything appears to working fine, but their is some heavy log spam from these continuous attempts:
res_pjsip_mwi.c:713 mwi_new_subscribe: Unable to locate aor 1. MWI subscription failed.

Turning on the pjsip logging I see the subscribe events in question:
<— Received SIP request (609 bytes) from UDP:<phone_ip>:5060 —>
SUBSCRIBE sip:1@<server_ip>:5061 SIP/2.0
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP <phone_ip>:5060;branch=z9hG4bK1ea9db48730F09B3
From: “Extension 2005” <sip:2005@<server_ip>:5061>;tag=C363B6D2-1C8418FD
To: <sip:1@<server_ip>>
CSeq: 1 SUBSCRIBE
Call-ID: cf2303e-83465ae9-c6315b4@<phone_ip>
Allow: INVITE, ACK, BYE, CANCEL, OPTIONS, INFO, MESSAGE, SUBSCRIBE, NOTIFY, PRACK, UPDATE, REFER
Event: message-summary
User-Agent: PolycomSoundPointIP-SPIP_331-UA/4.0.2.11307
Accept-Language: en
Accept: application/simple-message-summary
Max-Forwards: 70
Expires: 3600
Content-Length: 0

I don’t have an extension or ring group “1” and am curious why my phone are trying to contact this address.

Has anyone seen this behavior?

It is attempting to subscribe to get message waiting information for AOR ‘1’. The provisioning has probably specified that as the mailbox.

Do you need to register sip if you use a static IP?

Will appreciate any help jcolp.

Thanks

If the remote device has a static IP then no, you don’t need to. You can configure the SIP peer (in the case of chan_sip) or the AOR (in the case of chan_pjsip) with the address information.

Instead of taking over an existing thread topic like this create a new one for your own problem.

Thanks for your quick response.

After digging into my endpoint provisioning config I found the culprit.

This is for Polycom phones, but I’m certain a similar config knob is present for other phone provisioning.

<msg msg.bypassInstantMessage="1">
  <mwi
    msg.mwi.1.subscribe="1"
    msg.mwi.1.callBackMode="contact"
    msg.mwi.1.callBack="*97"/>
</msg>

In this particular case, msg.mwi.1.subscribe needs to be the path back to the phone, ie, the registration address, which in my case is simply the extension.

It’s not possible to register with just an extension, unless you use tel: URIs. These are not supported by chan_sip. The syntax or a SIP URI makes the domain name mandatory, not the user name.

You are correct David… in my case it was “@default”, not just “”.