SIP phones and Asterix

Hello everyone,
I’m a linux power user but at the same time I’m a telecom newbie. Since I am not familiar with the terms and keywords, I’m having a hardtime searching for the info I am looking for. I would appreciate it if someone would let me know if I am understanding this rightor not. I have a couple SIP VoIP phones that were given to me by a friend and I wanted to use them with Asterisk and learn as I go with them at home. As far as I can tell, all I have todo is add an FX0 card to my gentoo test box where I will install Asterisk and plug my two phones to the test box’s hub and then install and configure Asterisk, then plug the FX0 card to my phone line and I’ll be on my way to playing around and learning with Asterix. Do the SIP phones just communicate through ethernet? This seems way too simple! Am I missing something?
Thanks!
Frank Perez

That’s about it Frank. Of course as you explore Asterisk, you will realise that your current outlook at present is very abstract and you will come to find that IP telephony is a complex and feature rich environment.

Thanks Mark,
I really appreciate the clarification. I’ve been learning allot since I got started on this, I can’t wait until my FX0 card comes in!
Thanks,
Frank

While it seems simple, some SIP phones are actually fairly complicated to configure. Just set it up and let us know if you have any questions!

You can find a list wiith most phones and how to configure them for asterisk on http://www.asteriskguru.com/tutorials.html

On voip-info you might find some others, or do a google search on lists.digium.com.