SIP hangs

I have an issue where SIP is just hanging. My monitoring comes back with this every every 30-60 minutes “SIP timeout: No response from SIP server”

Additionally, if I do a core restart now or a amportal stop it hangs. I have to kill the asterisk PID or reboot to get it back. There really isn’t anything in the logs that I can see.

I run about 10 asterisk servers and it is only happening on 2 of them. All at the same version

Thank you in advance for your help.

That both begs a question and suggests an obvious solution.

I am missing something if I have 10 servers all the same version and 8 are fine and 2 have the reported problem. What am I missing?

Install the version that works on the servers which are not working.

If you want support from here (which is likely to end up telling you to install the latest version), you need to tell us the version numbers of the versions that work and those that don’t work.

Good advice… I’m here looking for a solution to what appears to be the same issue which showed first in Asterisk version 11.6.0. I rolled back to 11.5.1 which works fine on my server.

When I figure out my Asterisk 11.6.0 installation isn’t accepting calls, I execute “core stop now”, and am told Asterisk is stopping, and everything looks/behaves normal. There is no running Asterisk process. I then restart Asterisk from the command prompt, no options and it looks like it boots normally, except Asterisk will then not respond to commands, like “core stop now”. Asterisk also won’t quit with a normal “kill” command. The only way to stop Asterisk 11.6.0 is to “kill -9”.

At this point, starting Asterisk 11.6.0 yet another time and it will execute normally for about another day before sliding silently into this “dead” behavior again.

My call volume is very low, only about 1-5/day. All my Sipura (2000, 2100, 3000, etc) devices are connected using SIP. My hardware is AMD FX-8120, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX, 8GB RAM, 9 TB HD… running under OpenSUSE 12.2 x64; Linux pluto 3.4.63-2.44-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Oct 2 11:18:32 UTC 2013 (d91a619) x86_64. Asterisk 11.6.0 is compiled with optimization off and thread debugging on. There are no resource issues and all parts are running to factory specifications. This Asterisk is exposed to the Internet for 2 SIP users and incoming/outgoing calls.

I’ve been silent hoping for another release soon. This looks like a difficult problem to solve, so if I can perform some actions to help without risking an undetectable loss of phone service, please let me know how. 11.5.1 is continuing to run well for me.

You should report this on the issues.asterisk.org, but only if you are prepared to build it with no-optimise and thread debugging set, and capture some debugging information. With these set, the next time it freezes, start a new CLI session and capture the output of “core show locks”, then attach gdb, or force a core dump with gcore and run gdb against that, to get the backtraces mentioned in article you can find by googling for “asterisk wiki backtrace”.