Shared (Bridged) line appearance

With the new firmware the Aastra phones supposedly now fully support BLA so how is that not part of what the topic is about. I think it IS related but what do I know, I only started the thread in the first place.[/quote]

I wasn’t aware BLA was implemented or fully supported yet. According to Aastra’s tech support, it isn’t yet.

You would figure from all the posts and interest, Digium would already be aware of the need/interest in this.

With the new firmware the Aastra phones supposedly now fully support BLA so how is that not part of what the topic is about. I think it IS related but what do I know, I only started the thread in the first place.[/quote]

I wasn’t aware BLA was implemented or fully supported yet. According to Aastra’s tech support, it isn’t yet.[/quote]

From this pdf:
“Enhanced integration to Sylantro® SIP platform through the addition of Bridged Line Appearance (BLA) feature support.
BLA allows multiple devices to share a single directory number.”

Also, from here:
“Shared Call Appearances — Shared calls allow you to place a call on hold at one set and pick it up easily at another set”

[quote=“naughtyusmaximus”]Also, from here:
“Shared Call Appearances — Shared calls allow you to place a call on hold at one set and pick it up easily at another set”[/quote]
doesn’t that same page say it’s dependant on the PBX platform ?? we know if it’s asterisk then it doesn’t work (although i’ve never actually tried !!)

i just read the page and thought it was fairly clear that it is only going to work for now with Broadsoft switching.

I believe that is because they are the only VoIP PBX that supports it at the moment.

i know it’s been said before, but it’s the biggest imagined hurdle to asterisk adoption i’ve yet to come across. even bigger than worries about server crashes, 'cos they can be discounted with a hot-spare of everything.

yet, i’ve managed to provide either assurance or other methods of seeing line status and so the problem goes away. last install was worried about it, showed them the advantages of call parking and the removal of the possibility that someone could pickup a line by mistake, and they’re happy. to be honest, the only person that really needed to see flashing lights for the lines was the receptionist, and now she has a FOP. everyone else wanted line lights purely to see if there was a free line available. add in 20 SIP trunks and who cares ? just dial !

Exactly… When using the new Aastra FW, BLA is not implemented OR supported yet when using Asterisk. This seems to be one of the top things on most people’s wish list though.

http://www.mail-archive.com/asterisk-users@lists.digium.com/msg130884.html looks very promising. Assuming Asterisk gets 1.4 out by July like the release schedule on digium.com says, we might not have to wait too long. crosses fingers

Hmm
I like this part:
“Shared Line Appearance is much more complex to implement, but we are very seriously considering doing it in the near future, since there is so much demand.”

That does sound promising, but I’m curious as to what he means by the following:

“you will never be able to fully simulate a key system using Asterisk unless you seriously dumb down the Asterisk features that don’t make sense for a key system… but we can at least get this part functional.”

[quote=“naughtyusmaximus”]That does sound promising, but I’m curious as to what he means by the following:

“you will never be able to fully simulate a key system using Asterisk unless you seriously dumb down the Asterisk features that don’t make sense for a key system… but we can at least get this part functional.”[/quote]

I really just want the blinky lights and the ability to pickup a call that’s on hold on another extension. If I had that I’d be happy.

same here

The ability to see a call parked would also be nice.

sign me up, too! been interested in doin’ it but seems like asterisk doesn’t have it yet in its features …as of now…:smiley:

Hello all, This is a Harsh I am a final yr engineering student i am would love to work to devlop something like this…kindly support me

Thanks
Harsh

meaning what ??

1.Well first of all I am new to this… So I might not be having knowledge as you guys have…

2.While reading all the coments i came to a conclusion that we have not defined the requirements. Each person is asking some or the other thing.

3.If I am sucessful to develop this i would be using softphones like X-pro

Initially let us first comeup with what we want and what we dont

Thanks
Harsh

harsh,

don’t take this the wrong way, but if you’re new to this, you probably shouldn’t be offering to develop a “fix”. it’s pretty clear from the thread what people want, and we know that Asterisk doesn’t support it right now.

if you’re serious about writing code for Asterisk, get yourself on the developer list, start writing patches for existing bugs or write some functionality, but do it through the right channels. this forum isn’t it i’m afraid.

thanks for your advice. you are right but I dont have the time to go through the entire cycle…anyways I will not post any more new messages and turn up only if I come up with a solution

Bye till then

Harsh

BLA: Count me in. And er … the bounty … as long as it’s reasonable. :smile:

,liam

I’ve been researching this quite a lot and it’s not an easy task. There is currently no work going on for implementing this properly within Asterisk, at least no coding. There are some missing functionality in the core that stops a proper implementation, but with the subscription support in Asterisk 1.2 and some recent changes, we can do blinking lights and soon also call pickup.

Feels good that so many want to support this development effort, even though I can’t see any figures on what level of bounty you are talking about. Maybe we can integrate this into the chan_sip3 project that is about to start.