Setting up an IAX2 relay

Is this possible? I just signed up for service with Teliax and my ping times are around 70ms (compared to the 20ms that I had with BroadVoice). I think I’m also getting some packet loss because I’m getting less-than-stellar voice quality.

Does anyone think it would help if I setup a relay on a server I have at the Planet? That would keep the overall latency about the same but it would be divided into two chunks: 50ms from me to the server and 20ms from the server to Teliax. It might help reduce the number of lost and out-of-order packets.

If that would help, does anyone know how I can go about setting something up like that? I would need the relay to simply forward the calls on my two DIDs to my two local servers (one per server). Would it matter if the relay was on 1.2.1 and my local servers are on 1.0.9?

you can find help setting up the relay here: voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk±+dual+servers

my (very) personal findings have been that SIP is more responsive than IAX. nobody agrees with me :wink: . i imagine BroadVoice was SIP and Teliax is IAX, right? Probably more of a geographical issue than a protocol, but i wonder…

i’m not a networking expert but i doubt your relay will improve the lost/out-of-order packet issue.

[quote=“gtcleaves”]you can find help setting up the relay here: voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk±+dual+servers

my (very) personal findings have been that SIP is more responsive than IAX. nobody agrees with me :wink: . i imagine BroadVoice was SIP and Teliax is IAX, right? Probably more of a geographical issue than a protocol, but i wonder…

i’m not a networking expert but i doubt your relay will improve the lost/out-of-order packet issue.[/quote]

Yeah, BV was SIP and Teliax is IAX2. I was wondering the same thing but then I thought, “Why would they invent a protocol that was inferior to the industry standard?”

I’ll look into the dual server thing, thanks.