Running Asterisk as non- root

Hello All friends
I am very new to Asterisk and i can not understand what means "Running Asterisk as non -root.
Please give me explanation in more detail
Thank you

Install or run Asterisk non root it is a way to run our system more securely, After installing the files into their default locations, you will need to change the file permissions to match those of the user we’re going to be running as , ins case user asteriskpbx

$ sudo chown -R asteriskpbx:asteriskpbx /usr/lib/asterisk/
$ sudo chown -R asteriskpbx:asteriskpbx /var/lib/asterisk/
$ sudo chown -R asteriskpbx:asteriskpbx /var/spool/asterisk/
$ sudo chown -R asteriskpbx:asteriskpbx /var/log/asterisk/
$ sudo chown -R asteriskpbx:asteriskpbx /var/run/asterisk
$ sudo chown asteriskpbx:asteriskpbx /usr/sbin/asterisk

In order to use MeetMe() and DAHDI with Asterisk as non-root, you must change the /etc/udev/rules.d/dahdi.rules

check http://www.asteriskdocs.org/en/3rd_Edition/asterisk-book-html/asterisk-book.html#Installing_id292785

2 Likes

Thank you for your answer

By the way , $ sudo chown -R asteriskpbx:asteriskpbx /usr/lib/asterisk/
in this command , who is user asteriskpbx ?
i am doing to follow asterisk tutorial but when i type above command and execute it , it shows there is not such user - asteriskpbx .
please explain for me
Thank you

system it is telling you the reason why the command it is failing, you should also follow some Linux basic tutorial first

Yes i followed tutorial as it instructs me , but it shows the message ,
so asteriskpbx is user name ? if it is existing user already , why the failing message says that ?

create the user with the following command

adduser asteriskpbx -m -c “Asterisk User”

ah Okay , yes i will do that , by the way , what is the best tutorial where i can learn Asterisk well ? I am reading " Asterisk™: The Definitive Guide" 4th Edition .