Ring Group - ring extension even if it is busy

I currently have a ring group set up that rings 3 extensions.

If, for example, extension 14 is on a call, only extensions 15 and 16 will ring.

The problem is, if only 1 person is in the office, and they are ext. 14 and another call comes in, 15 and 16 are ringing but ext 14 cannot answer the call (because it is not ringing at that ext) and it seems that call pickup is not allowing the call to be picked up.

Any ideas?? I’m pretty much stuck on this.

Thanks!

use a pickup group that away you can answer any ringing phone with *8

voip-info.org/wiki/view/Aste … ckupgroups

I’m not quite sure I got the dillema here.

If ext 14 is in a call(and therefore asterisk does not ring), why should the person at this extension answer?

Or perhaps you want that person to park current call, and answer the new call?

You got something called “Call waiting” and should be supportet by most phones. That would generate a tone/sound in the users handset while they are on the phone. Many phones also supports several lines, and these have the abillity to answer a second call without using asterisk to park the first call.

I’m lost. Could you elaborate(?)?

No problem, I appreciate the reply.

I tried the pickup group but that does not happen. It returns an error (I think 503 but I could be off a number or 2).

Nomore:

Normally, the calls will ring to the “line 2” (or 3 or 4) for the “call waiting” however, when using ring groups, it just completely ignores ext. 14 (even though there are additional “lines” available. 15 and 16 will ring, as appropriate, but not 14. (If 14 was in a different office, they would not even know another call was coming in).

Now, this is important because 14 may be the only person working some days (and they will vary) so it is important that their ext. ring with the ring group, even if they are on a call so they can put that current call on hold and pick up the 2nd call coming in.

Hope that clears it up some, but if not, please let me know. I really do appreciate the thoughts and replies!

you may have to change it to something other than *8 such as 88 some sip devices have trouble with the * I use anaolg phones and they act the same way if your on a call when a call comes in and you hang up the other extensions ring but the only way to answer is to use a pickupgroup and a callgroup and then the pickup feature. We also use it for when the phones get reaaly busy a lot of the extensions are not configured to ring but with the pickup feature and with them all set to the same call and pickup group they can grab calls from ringing extensions

Rusty,

Thanks for the reply… although this may work, I would much rather the calls act like “call waiting” where it still rings one of the additional lines on the phone, just the same as when a call is placed directly to an extension…

Thank you though!

Ok, I follow you now :smile:

Is’nt ringing groups just a normal Dial statement with extensions separatet by &, like SIP/201&SIP/202 etc?

And does the call waiting works if the Dial command just have one extension in it?

I do believe it is a dial statement… but honestly, I’m not 100% sure. I use Trixbox/FreePBX… Here is the code in extensions_additional.conf:

[globals]
#include globals_custom.conf
CALLFILENAME = ""
DIAL_OPTIONS = tr
TRUNK_OPTIONS = r
DIAL_OUT = 9
FAX =
FAX_RX = system
FAX_RX_EMAIL = fax@mydomain.com
INCOMING = group-all
NULL = ""
OPERATOR =
PARKNOTIFY = SIP/200
RECORDEXTEN = ""
RINGTIMER = 15
DIRECTORY = last
AFTER_INCOMING =
IN_OVERRIDE = forcereghours
REGTIME = 7:55-17:05
REGDAYS = mon-fri
DIRECTORY_OPTS =
DIALOUTIDS = 2/
VM_PREFIX = *
TONEZONE = us
ALLOW_SIP_ANON = no
FAX_RX_FROM = freepbx@gmail.com
VM_DDTYPE =
VM_GAIN =
OUTCID_2 =
OUTMAXCHANS_2 = 2
OUTPREFIX_2 =
OUT_2 = SIP/Viatalk

[ext-group]
include => ext-group-custom
exten => 995,1,Macro(user-callerid,)
exten => 995,n,GotoIf($["${CALLERID(name):0:${LEN(${RGPREFIX})}}" != “${RGPREFIX}”]?NEWPREFIX)
exten => 995,n,Set(CALLERID(name)=${CALLERID(name):${LEN(${RGPREFIX})}})
exten => 995,n(NEWPREFIX),Set(RGPREFIX=)
exten => 995,n,Set(CALLERID(name)=${RGPREFIX}${CALLERID(name)})
exten => 995,n,Set(RecordMethod=Group)
exten => 995,n,Macro(record-enable,14-15-16,${RecordMethod})
exten => 995,n,Set(RingGroupMethod=ringall)
exten => 995,n(DIALGRP),Macro(dial,20,${DIAL_OPTIONS},14-15-16)
exten => 995,n,Set(RingGroupMethod=)
exten => 995,n,Goto(ext-local,101,1)

I would also think it ring that extension… I was even telling the lady “just answer the blinking line” when the other phones were ringing… but she couldn’t… she didn’t have another blinking line…

Thank you!

I think the problem may lie with call waiting being disabled at this one particular extension… I’ll have to make sure that is taken care of because when I try it out on a different system, it works like it is supposed too…

I think i’ll stick to programming… this phone stuff is hard :wink:

Thanks and i’ll let you know how I make out.

Chris