Rejecting call on channel 0/7, span 1

Using Asterisk 1.8 on fedora 14 and when I try dialing in, I see the following error:
Extension ‘xxxx’ in context ‘from-pstn’ from ‘xxxxxxxxxx’ does not exist. Rejecting call on channel 0/7, span 1.
I’m sure you need more info, just let me know,
All help is greatly appreciated

Add something that matches xxxx, and does what you want, to the context from-pstn, or change the context to match the context that actually contains extension xxxx, in the channel technology configuration file.

The error is the extension not found, although your subject tells us you are using dahdi or zaptel, which we couldn’t otherwise guess.

well, thanks for the reply. This is how the extension is set up in extensions.conf

exten => xxx,1,Dial(SIP/xxx,20,Tt)
exten => xxx,2,Voicemail(uxxx)
exten => xxx,3,Busy
exten => xxx,101,Voicemail(bxxx)

exten => xxxx,1,Answer()
exten => xxxx,2,Dial(Local/xxx@local,30,r)
exten => xxxx,3,Hangup

exten => xxxxxxxxxxx,1,Dial(Local/xxx@local,45)
exten => xxxxxxxxxxx,2,Busy

and yes, we are using dahdi

Try the cli command:

dialplan show xxxx@from-pstn

If that works, something strange is happening. If not, find out why that extension is failing to be defined by your dialplan.

You missed out the context from your fragment, so I can’t tell if it was correct.

hmmmm, I guess this would be part of the problem:
dialplan show XXXX@from-pstn
There is no existence of ‘from-pstn’ context
Command ‘dialplan show XXXX@from-pstn’ failed.

I’m new to this and I’m not even sure what file needs to be updated for this.
we are in the process from going from asterisk 1.4 to 1.8 and many of our old conf files are no good especially where zap-to-dahdi is concerned and the fact they we are going from 2 servers down to one… Again, thanks for the reply and all help is appreciated…

your extensions.conf contains dialplan.

you posted some lines from it. You apparently are missing the context for from-pstn.

[from-pstn]
exten => 3333,1,NoOp(testing)
etc…

since your new, if you haven’t you might want to take a look at the book Asterisk: the Future of Telephony
http://downloads.oreilly.com/books/9780596510480.pdf

Thanks for the link. I noticed the book was for Asterisk 1.4 and I was wondering how much of a difference the syntax would be from 1.4 to 1.8. I did get the incoming to work by adding what you suggested:
[from-pstn]
exten => s,1,Answer() // answer the inbound call
exten => s,n,Playback(cc_welcome) // please mesaage
exten => s,n,Hangup()

but now I’m having issues with voicemail, getting the following error:
No entry in voicemail config file for ‘bxxx’ or No entry in voice mail config file for ‘uxxx’ which is strange because when I check for messages and enter xxx and password it accepts the credentials…
I’m glad I have a lot of hair… Any help is appreciated…

the full error is WARNING[5271]: app_voicemail.c:5527 leave_voicemail: No entry in voicemail config file for ‘xxx’

I actually got this going by changing
exten => xxx,3,Voicemail(uxxx)
to
exten => xxx,3,Voicemail(xxx,u)