Refer (transfer) through a proxy

Hi there,

I’ve been doing my last summer training in a telecommunication company.
Honestly i wasn’t knowing much about voip technologies,nor i got any course in university.
However i am trying to learn as much as i can reading all the documents about SIP,Asterisk etc.

I installed and configured (not a big deal sadly,since i followed the instructions) Asterisk on my machine and made some inner calls between clients.

The people here in the company asked me to do some research about refert outbound,since they say they can’t do it because asterisk’s not supporting refer through proxies.(they are using asterisk 1.4x,and saying that they are not sure if it’s a problem that is solved in new versions or not)

I read many documents but couldn’t find any problem related to this situation and i’m starting to think that asterisk can do this but the people in the company didn’t notice that. :unamused:

Is it possible to refer a call to someone from outside through the proxy server ?
Or does asterisk support only referring to inner clients ?

I’m not sure if i’m asking things too complicated or too simple,or even stupid (i hope not) …
I’m willing to hear every single advice and learn what i know wrong or what shall i do ?

Thank you in advance ,

Guven

any ideas ?

The official source code for Asterisk has various degrees of brokeness in its handling of simple REFERs. These mainly relate to the handling of failure cases. 1.6.1.x doesn’t handle outbound REFER (Transfer() application on an answered call) at all well. Trunk does it better, but there are still problems.

I believe issues.asterisk.org/ has details of all the brain damage that I am aware of for simple REFER.

No official version of Asterisk supports outbound REFER/replaces.

I am not aware of anything that would cause a problem with a proxy, rather than a user agent, but we’ve only worked with other PABXes.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.
Yesterday when i was searching for an answer in IRC server of Asterisk,i am told that if you can make a call through a proxy you should be able to do refer too.
However ;

If that’s the case,then i will need to make it happen somehow…

As staff in the company says,they weren’t having any issues while they were using Pingtel instead of Asterisk.
I’m trying to have the logs of both successful calls and the unsuccessful ones to see (hopefully) what the problem is.

Just to be clear. I am talking about outbound use of REFER, i.e. the Transfer application. Asterisk does support incoming REFER requests.

Also, REFER replaces needs modifications to the Transfer application interface, as you need to tell it what you are replacing. REFER/replaces is used for attended trasnfers.

I see.
No issues on using REFER inbound here either,since it happens in Asterisk,and no need to go through any proxies or something.

[size=85][NETWORK A]
Core
|
GWC
|
Proxy Server
|
Asterisk
|
Users

[NETWORK B]
Core
|
GWC
|
Proxy Server
|
Asterisk
|
Users[/size]

Problem is to REFER someone which is in another network.

[quote=“guvengultepe”]Hi there,

I’ve been doing my last summer training in a telecommunication company.
Honestly i wasn’t knowing much about voip technologies,nor i got any course in university.
However i am trying to learn as much as i can reading all the documents about SIP,Asterisk etc.

I installed and configured (not a big deal sadly,since i followed the instructions) Asterisk on my machine and made some inner calls between clients.

The people here in the company asked me to do some research about refert outbound,since they say they can’t do it because asterisk’s not supporting refer through proxies.(they are using asterisk 1.4x,and saying that they are not sure if it’s a problem that is solved in new versions or not)

I read many documents but couldn’t find any problem related to this situation and i’m starting to think that asterisk can do this but the people in the company didn’t notice that. :unamused:

Is it possible to refer a call to someone from outside through the proxy server ?
Or does asterisk support only referring to inner clients ?

I’m not sure if i’m asking things too complicated or too simple,or even stupid (i hope not) …
I’m willing to hear every single advice and learn what i know wrong or what shall i do ?

Thank you in advance ,

Guven[/quote]

I am also a newbie when it comes to some telecommunication technology. But, through perseverance I think we can catch-up, hopefully :smiley: