Recording calls - playing beep during call (legal stuff)

we are currently recording all of our inbound and outbound calls on our servers, and our legal department is inquring about adding a ‘beep’ during the calls so that the customer is aware that recording is happening. apparently that would satisfy some of the requirements.

i’m not seeing anything in any docs i’ve read, so i’m assuming it can’t be done (or would be a pain in the rear to accomplish) but please let me know if any of you have any thoughts.

thanks.

Do you do the customary “Your call may recorded for quality control or training purposes”? I was always under the impression (note I am a sysadmin NOT a lawyer) that was 1) required by most state laws 2) was pretty much all you needed to do.

Scott

the powers that be are interested in this, mainly for outbound calls (collections, etc)…i know for inbounds, we have the standard ‘your call may be recorded’, but for our outbound collections group, who would stay on the line if there was a prompt to say ‘your call is being recorded, blah blah…’ - we’d never collect anything.

i’m all ears.

“most” is unclear. some states are one-party states, some are all party states. that said, my understanding is that notification of recording is fine. the issue is only that in an all-party state, everyone has to know it’s being recorded, and that can be by the beeps, a canned message saying so…

well, regardless of the legal requirements, here’s how you do it:

the ‘L’ flag in the Dial command will work…here is my code:

exten => s,n,SetVar(LIMIT_WARNING_FILE=beep_quiet) exten => s,n,SetVar(LIMIT_PLAYAUDIO_CALLEE=yes) exten => s,n,Dial(${TRUNKX}/${ARG1},,L(999999999:999999999:10000))

first line sets the sound file to play
second line sets playing the beep to the called party
then you add the L flag to your dial command, and set your timeouts (in ms)

see voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+cmd+Dial for more info.