[Problem] Local calls work, but long distance fail

I’ve got my SIP phone working fine for calls to other extensions internally, and for normal local phone calls (10 digit dialing). However, on dialing long distance 1+10digit number, it returns a fast busy signal. The log file shows the proper dialed digits on the interface itself, and even shows “ANSWERED” for status.

I thought maybe our phone line was setup to have long distance blocked, so I directly attached an analog phone, and that works just fine. I’m able to dial the number and it rings, no fast busy.

Very confused since it looks like Asterisk is doing the exact same thing, except that I get different results.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,
Brian

Hi

It would help if you showed us the dialplan in question…

what does "show dialplan " tell you

Ian

[quote=“ianplain”]It would help if you showed us the dialplan in question…

what does "show dialplan " tell you[/quote]

Hmmmm.

It says “There is no existence of ‘#here’’ context”. However, it also says the same thing for local numbers (that work just fine). Obviously I’m doing something wrong. If I substitute the context for the number, I get that specific config item (which I basically cloned from TFOT examples). Here’s that info, if that helps any:

[code]asterisk*CLI> show dialplan internal
[ Context ‘internal’ created by ‘pbx_config’ ]
‘100’ => 1. Dial(SIP/brian) [pbx_config]
‘101’ => 1. Dial(SIP/budgetone) [pbx_config]
‘611’ => 1. Answer() [pbx_config]
2. Playback(hello-world) [pbx_config]
3. Hangup() [pbx_config]
‘911’ => 1. Dial(Zap/3/911) [pbx_config]
‘9911’ => 1. Dial(Zap/3/911) [pbx_config]
’_91NXXNXXXXXX’ => 1. Dial(Zap/3/${EXTEN:1}) [pbx_config]
’_9NXXNXXXXXX’ => 1. Dial(Zap/3/${EXTEN:1}) [pbx_config]

-= 7 extensions (9 priorities) in 1 context. =-[/code]

Thanks,
Brian

That is a bit hard to read. Can you try posting your extensions.conf ?

Ok the problem will be in the line

‘_91NXXNXXXXXX’ => 1. Dial(Zap/3/${EXTEN:1})’

what number are you trying to dial ?

as the the N is for digits 2-9 you need to make sure that the number you are dialing matches that

Ian

Here’s the applicable section:

exten => 100,1,Dial(SIP/brian) exten => 101,1,Dial(SIP/budgetone) exten => 611,1,Answer exten => 611,n,Playback(hello-world) exten => 611,n,Hangup exten => _9NXXNXXXXXX,1,Dial(Zap/3/${EXTEN:1}) exten => _91NXXNXXXXXX,1,Dial(Zap/3/${EXTEN:1}) exten => 911,1,Dial(Zap/3/911) exten => 9911,1,Dial(Zap/3/911)

[quote=“ianplain”]Ok the problem will be in the line

‘_91NXXNXXXXXX’ => 1. Dial(Zap/3/${EXTEN:1})’

what number are you trying to dial ?

as the the N is for digits 2-9 you need to make sure that the number you are dialing matches that

Ian[/quote]

The number I’m trying to call would be of the form (as dialed from a normal phone) 1-734-555-1234. So, I dial 917345551234 on the SIP phone and I get a fast busy. The call log shows my input digits, and shows the appropriate called number (17345551234) and even reports “ANSWERED”, but it’s not actually going through… It’s as if the phone company is somehow blocking calls sourced by asterisk, but letting calls from normal phones go through.

91 NXXNXXXXXX
91 123456789A

You have one too many X’s

Oops, I take that back, you don’t. I used to be able to count.

I know the feeling… Looking at strings of “N” and “X” will do that :smile:

One thing I do find interesting is that you have rules for 10 and 11 digit dialing.

I normally set up for 7 (that is 9 + a seven digit number) and 11 (that is 9+1+ a ten digit number) digit dialing. In some cases I have to do some conditional stuff to map an extension number to an area code as I use an internet based PSTN termination service so nothing is really “local”. This works out pretty well in places where people are used to 7 digit local numbers. It kind of freaks people out a bit at first in places where they are used to dialing 10 digit numbers.

What happens if you comment out the rule for 10 digit dialing?

[quote=“Matthew_kleinmann”]One thing I do find interesting is that you have rules for 10 and 11 digit dialing.

I normally set up for 7 (that is 9 + a seven digit number) and 11 (that is 9+1+ a ten digit number) digit dialing. In some cases I have to do some conditional stuff to map an extension number to an area code as I use an internet based PSTN termination service so nothing is really “local”. This works out pretty well in places where people are used to 7 digit local numbers. It kind of freaks people out a bit at first in places where they are used to dialing 10 digit numbers.

What happens if you comment out the rule for 10 digit dialing?[/quote]

Commenting out the 10 digit dialing rule doesn’t have any impact on the 11 digit dialing. Still gives a fast busy while appearing to work as far as the log is concerned. Very strange and frustrating.

Our area switched from 7 to 10 digit dialing a few years ago… We’re in an overlay area, AND we’re right next to (as in I can walk to) another completely separate long distance area code. Having 7 digit dialing would definitely cause confusion here now! It’s confusing enough that calling across the street can be long distance (in some parts of town that’s true even in the same area code, as we have 3 or 4 different phone companies that come together right around here and crossing between them is “long-distance”!) :smile: At least we don’t have the problem that our area-code neighbors to the north have of seemingly random local toll call zones… :smile:

Update!

It appears to be limited to one particular area code… All the long distance calls we were attempting originally were to the 734 code (since that’s right next door, and where our clients are). However, we’ve now made a long distance call to another area code (989) and it works fine. Appears to be telco related, but I find it very curious that an analog phone hooked to the line works, while asterisk doesn’t. Sigh.