Phantom Voicemail calls

On a daily basis I receive up to 40 calls per day from my own voice mail. Sometimes 3 of my lines will light up at a time and all 3 are my voice mail. Sometimes I get calls from my own extension and when I pick up the phone it starts ringing and will connect me to another extension, then after about 5-10 secs the call is disconnected and the phone rings someone else’s extension. This will happen up to 5 times before the call terminates. Then if you are on a call, sometimes the call gets disconnected. Recently if you put the volume on your ringer down, the phone raises it back up for you; and today when I put the phone on dnd the voice mail calls still came through. I have left my phone unplugged for most the day today because it gets hard to concentrate with a phone ringing at full blast all the time. I know everyone in our office except 2 people have linksys IP Phone SPA942. I don’t know if that has anything to do with it or if it is something with the asterisk side. But everyone in our office has experienced this problem to a certain degree. If more technical detail is needed then please let me know what you need to know and I will get the information for you. If I am posting this is the wrong spot please let know and if you don’t mind point me in the right direction. Please someone help!!

Hi,

It sounds too crazy to be true but lets see if we can help.

What;

1. Phones are you using
  2. Asterisk/Zaptel version
  3. Inbound calls from where SIP IAX provider or zaptel
  4. OS

This sounds like a phone issue

Interstingly I have a site that has over 20 aastra handsets and one spa1001 for a dect phone and this rings every so often for no reason except it may coincide with registration

Ian

What;

1. Phones are you using
    lynksys spa942
  2. Asterisk/Zaptel version
    Found out we are using trixbox
  3. Inbound calls from where SIP IAX provider or zaptel
    I asked but got no response
  4. OS
    Linux

I asked the person that knows more technical details about our setup but he is always busy. Since we are using trixbox and not asterisk, I don’t think this was the right place to post anyway. If you can still help, that would be great. But if not no hard feelings.
Thanks!

I think I remember seeing this somewhere either on these forums on the mailing list. What it turned out to be was the phone mishandling the message waiting indicator message and ringing the phone. Can you try commenting out the mailbox= line in your sip.conf for the phone you are having issues with?