Opensource softphone?

Hey guys! So I’m new to this whole VoIP thing so pardon my newbie-sounding questions but here goes.

Now I understand I can take a linux box, add some VoIP hardware and install Asterisk and I have basically a phone “router”. Awesome.

But what about the specific phone? Will any phone work, or does it have to be VoIP only?

What about a softphone? Are there open source softphones out there that can connect to Asterisk? How does that work, just setup the IP address and various other configs?

Any clarification would greatly be appreciated, thanks!

does it have to be VoIP only? No

What about a softphone? Are there open source softphones out there that can connect to Asterisk?Yes

How does that work, just setup the IP address and various other configs?
Yes

Try looking here
voip-info.org/tiki-index.php … isk+phones

and

voip-info.org/tiki-index.php … OIP+Phones

[quote=“m3avrck”]Hey guys! So I’m new to this whole VoIP thing so pardon my newbie-sounding questions but here goes.

Now I understand I can take a linux box, add some VoIP hardware and install Asterisk and I have basically a phone “router”. Awesome.

But what about the specific phone? Will any phone work, or does it have to be VoIP only?

What about a softphone? Are there open source softphones out there that can connect to Asterisk? How does that work, just setup the IP address and various other configs?

Any clarification would greatly be appreciated, thanks![/quote]

Try this softphone for Asterisk
silicontechnix.com/babarnazm … entocx.htm

Here’s one: http://iaxclient.sourceforge.net/iaxcomm/