No calling tone

Hi,

Got a strange problem. I’ve had Asterisk running fine for a month or so in our office. Today, suddenly, all the phones have stopped producing a dialing tone when making outgoing calls.

I.e. when we call someone we cannot hear the phone being called, but when the person we are calling picks their phone up we get normal voice coming through phone.

Running a 1 month old version of HEAD with Grandstream GXP-2000 phones on an AVM c4 card in the UK with 3xISDN 2 lines.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Ben

Apologies for the bump. Can anyone tell me if the “calling” tone is generated by the Asterisk server or the phone itself? If it’s the asterisk server, where is that .gsm file specified?

it’s the phone itself that generates the dialtone.

have you upgraded the firmware (or have GS suddenly updated it and your phones downloaded it ?)

i’ve seen issues with the GXp before when the NTP server has gone offline, or when a firewall has stopped the phone getting access to the 'net.

[quote=“baconbuttie”]it’s the phone itself that generates the dialtone.

have you upgraded the firmware (or have GS suddenly updated it and your phones downloaded it ?)

i’ve seen issues with the GXp before when the NTP server has gone offline, or when a firewall has stopped the phone getting access to the 'net.[/quote]
Thanks for the info. The phones have not had a firmware upgrade recently - they are pointing to an HTTP server in our office to get the new firmware and this has not been changed recently.

They do have net access as they resync with an NTP server when they are rebooted.

Strangely it happened to all 14 phones in the office at the same time, even tho there were no changes to the system as far as we know. It could be a network issue, but nothing has changed on our network as far as I can tell…

How curious…

Edit: Actually - I get dialtone; I dont get ring tone, I.e. when you call someone, before they pick up, the tone you hear then. Well, we dont hear it.

Can anyone tell me if the calling tone is generated by the handset or by the * server?

Curiously, if I connect to the * server with an express talk softphone, the calling tone is generated. I’m pretty sure this means it’s an issue with the Grandstream phones…Does that sound feasable?

OT: Of all the people to run into eh :stuck_out_tongue:

I fixed this. I’ve no idea what caused it to start happening (no configs were changed at my end to suddenly cause it) but anyway, just for future reference if anyone has the same problem, I changed the line in extensions.conf:

To:

Which fixed it.