Minimum recommended internet speed for call quality?

Hi. I have a slow Wifi internet connection where I use Bria mobile. My speed varies from 5Mbps to 8Mbps download and 1.5Mpbs upload. Will I experience any call quality/drop issues?

That depends on what else is going over that link and whether there are any contended upstream links.

It also depends on whether you are using video, and, if so, the resolution.

It may also depend on whether your WiFi router has WMM, and whether there are other local users of the same channel, and, if so, their usage.

If there is no contending traffic, there is unlikely to be any broadband product that won’t support a single SIP voice only phone without a very large safety margin. Your uplink won’t support Counterpath’s suggested available bandwidth if using 720p or HD video. See Bandwidth Requirements – CounterPath Support

1 Like

Thank you for sharing !

1 Like

Thank you! Just what I was looking for !

This is the bandwidth usage on the user side, but let say on the Asterisk server I assume this bandwidth usage is double , per calls using G711 codec as Asterisk open 2 channels for a single call as minimum, let me know If I’m wrong @david551

Codec Bitrate Bandwidth Usage
G.711 64 Kbps 87.2 Kbps

1 Like

If you have both sides of the call on the other side of the internet connection, you will have traffic in both directions from both sides, which will double the traffic in each direction. However, the OP didn’t really provide a lot of detail, so I assumed that phone was on the LAN and only one leg was over the limited internet connection.

For WiFi and the original Ethernet, maximum throughput is based on the combination of both directions, as only one party can transmit at a time. I haven’t studied full duplex twisted pair Ethernet in detail, but I suspect that it is either somewhere in between, or the two directions can be treated as independent.

1 Like

Hi David. This is for a SIP phone system hosted in the cloud. We’ll take calls on Wifi and cellular using Bria Teams.

Piecing what I hear from you and @ambiorixg12. The minimum bandwidth would be twice the recommended rate for the codec. Half for the inbound call, half for the outbound call. In this case if I used used a G.711 codec the required bandwidth would be 174.4 Kbps.

Did I get that right? I’m concerned about the bandwidth because sometimes I take calls when I’m out in the field away from my desk. Download speeds on cellular can be as low as 1 or 2 Mbps.Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 9.05.10 PM

That doesn’t help as I can’t work out the media path, am not clear which point in the path is your choke point, and have no knowledge of Bria Teams.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.