Invoke a function on Asterisk and get response through SIP requests

I have an Asterisk server and a custom developed client for extension registration. And I would like to trigger some function on this Asterisk server by sending a SIP request.
And also I need to get back the result of the executed task to the client application.
In my situation, a direct HTTP request sending is not possible between Asterisk server and the client.
So I require a solution based on SIP itself. Is there any way to do this using SIP OPTIONS, SIP MESSAGE or by means of any other requests?

Why not use AMI to send action to Asterisk and monitor Events?

–Satish Barot

You can send Asterisk SIP MESSAGE messages and take action on them in the dialplan. On a pjsip endpoint, just set “message_context” to a dialplan context like “incoming_messages” or something, then you can use the MESSAGE or MESSAGE_DATA functions to read the contents. You can then do anything the dialplan allows with the data.

3 Likes

Thanks for the quick response. If you can, please provide more details or links about how we construct SIP MESSAGE request , where we include the data for the invocation and also how will be the response

because In our case, we must use a SIP flow for this. clinet and Asterisk server can only communicate via SIP

A SIP MESSAGE looks like any other SIP request. Here’s an example…

MESSAGE sip:[extn]@[remote_ip]:[remote_port] SIP/2.0
      Via: SIP/2.0/[transport] [local_ip]:[local_port];branch=[branch]
      From: charlie <sip:[service]@[local_ip]:[local_port]>;tag=[call_number]
      To: alice <sip:[extn]@[remote_ip]:[remote_port]>
      Call-ID: [call_id]
      CSeq: 1 MESSAGE
      Max-Forwards: 70
      Contact: <sip:[service]@[local_ip]:[local_port];transport=[transport]>
      Subject: Test
      Allow: OPTIONS, SUBSCRIBE, NOTIFY, PUBLISH, INVITE, ACK, BYE, CANCEL, PRACK, REGISTER, REFER, MESSAGE
      User-Agent: Test
      Content-Type: text/plain
      Content-Length: [len]

this is a test

Substitute the variables in ‘[]’ with your own values.

You’ll get a 202 response back.