Installation probelm

hello,
I’m trying to compile asterisk I have this error when I use the “make” command:

/usr/lib/gcc/i586-suse-linux/4.3/../../../../i586-suse-linux/bin/ld: Dwarf Error: Offset (6800) greater than or equal to (null) size (1076084689). ../apps/app_speech_utils.eo: In function `speech_results_type_write': app_speech_utils.c:(.text+0x2d0): undefined reference to `ast_speech_change_results_type' /usr/lib/gcc/i586-suse-linux/4.3/../../../../i586-suse-linux/bin/ld: Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '0', this reader only handles version 2 and 3 information. app_speech_utils.c:(.text+0x2f4): undefined reference to `ast_speech_change_results_type' /usr/lib/gcc/i586-suse-linux/4.3/../../../../i586-suse-linux/bin/ld: Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '44061', this reader only handles version 2 and 3 information. ../apps/app_speech_utils.eo: In function `speech_engine_write': app_speech_utils.c:(.text+0x379): undefined reference to `ast_speech_change' /usr/lib/gcc/i586-suse-linux/4.3/../../../../i586-suse-linux/bin/ld: Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '29185', this reader only handles version 2 and 3 information. ../apps/app_speech_utils.eo: In function `speech_destroy': app_speech_utils.c:(.text+0xc11): undefined reference to `ast_speech_destroy' /usr/lib/gcc/i586-suse-linux/4.3/../../../../i586-suse-linux/bin/ld: Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '26368', this reader only handles version 2 and 3 information. .......

Asterisk Version: 1.6.1.6
thank you

That’s either a mis-match between your compiler and linker versions, or one or the other is broken.

and how to resolv it ?
i reinstalled gcc but I have the same problem …

Doing an obvious Google search, it looks like the Dwarf error is a secondary error (normally you should ignore all but the first error, but the reverse applies here). http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-11/msg00756.html

I’d suggest removing app_speech_utils from the configuration, unless you really need it. It looks like it is only needed if you have speech recognition software. However, I would note that this compiles OK on CentOS 5.3 with a close to out of the box configuration, so using CentOS is also an option.

You may also want to make sure that you didn’t have source code or include files left over from building an earlier version of Asterisk, as the only reason I could see for the type not being defined is that it tried to use a mis-matched version of speech.h.

thanks about ur answer
I removed the app_speech, I have the same prblm, I think that the prblm is with the “ld” what package I have to reinstall ?

The link I referenced suggests that ld is probably not the problem. In any case, I’m not familiar with the SUSE package structure. On CentOS, the package is binutils.

I réinstalled the binutils and the binutils-devel, but I have the same prblm any suggestions

As I said, make sure that you don’t have old versions of the header files installed somewhere. Otherwise, either look closely at the source to see where it is going wrong, or try reproducing the same configuration on CentOS. If that fails, you are in a strong position to raise a bug report. If it works, you need to work out how your system differs from CentOS.

If CentOS works, you could try a bug report against the build system, but if they accept that the platform is supported, your machine will probably have to be used for all the tests and investigation.