IAX2 Client Troubleshooting

Hi,

I’m trying to setup SFLPhone softphone on Ubuntu to communicate over IAX with my newly installed Asterisk server. I want to use that instead of SIP as the whole process runs over one encrypted port - I’m hoping it’s less likely to be blocked by regional telcos.

What is strange: I see the SFLPhone sending packets using tcpdump. I see those packets arriving running tcpdump on the server. But Asterisk is not even attempting to send a reply:

tcpdump -i eth0 ' port 4569' -n
23:16:52.094562 IP YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY.iax > XX.XX.XXX.XX.iax: UDP, length 26
23:16:52.295132 IP YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY.iax > XX.XX.XXX.XX.iax: UDP, length 26
23:16:53.095206 IP YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY.iax > XX.XX.XXX.XX.iax: UDP, length 26
23:16:56.296797 IP YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY.iax > XX.XX.XXX.XX.iax: UDP, length 26
23:17:00.298778 IP YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY.iax > XX.XX.XXX.XX.iax: UDP, length 26
23:17:03.094505 IP YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY.iax > XX.XX.XXX.XX.iax: UDP, length 26
23:17:03.296283 IP YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY.iax > XX.XX.XXX.XX.iax: UDP, length 26
23:17:04.097954 IP YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY.iax > XX.XX.XXX.XX.iax: UDP, length 26

Where YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY is my client’s address from the ISP (it’s behind NAT) and XX.XX.XXX.XX is the IP address of the server - which is a public IP address. I can register to the server using SIP no problem. Packets are being sent to Asterisk - Asterisk is listening on that address:

netstat -alpn | grep 4569
udp   228096      0  XX.XX.XXX.XX:4569           0.0.0.0:*                               10084/asterisk      

I opened the whole firewall just to be sure:

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination         

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

I have set logging to Verbose and Debug - no activity in /var/log/asterisk/messages. I googled around the problem and added:

calltokenoptional=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
requirecalltoken=no

Did not make a difference. Still Asterisk is not even trying to send any packet back.

Anyone got any ideas for where to go from here? I’m pretty confused why Asterisk seems to be just completely ignoring the traffic.

In my iax.conf I have

[iaxuser1]
type=friend
secret=SECRETHERE
auth=md5
context=incoming

Thanks,

-Mike

Mike,

Did you ever solve this problem? I’m experiencing the exact same symptoms – the IAX packets are arriving at the Asterisk server – I can capture them with tcpdump – but Asterisk isn’t reading them. This is on a newly installed server running version 13.1.0~dfsg-1.1ubuntu4.1

I have a very very similar config on an older (version 1.6.2.15) production Asterisk server that we are still running. There IAX2 works just fine.

Thanks in advance for any tips you can give me.

/Colin