How to configure Grandstream HT-286

The manual for the Grandstream HandyTone 286 describes how to configure the device to download its operational configuration from a tftp server. I would like to use this capability, but I cannot find any document describing the format of the configuration file expected from such a server. Can anybody point me toward a specification or a sample file?

Thanks.

[quote=“DaveLevenson”]The manual for the Grandstream HandyTone 286 describes how to configure the device to download its operational configuration from a tftp server. I would like to use this capability, but I cannot find any document describing the format of the configuration file expected from such a server. Can anybody point me toward a specification or a sample file?

Thanks.[/quote]

Step1. Connect the Grandstream HT286 to an Internet connection by the following pictures.

Plug an analog telephone into the phone port

Plug the Ethernet cable into the Ethernet port of the Grandstream HT286 in order to connect it to a router or an Internet connection.

Connect the power cord to the Grandstream HT286.

Step2. Set the Grandstream HT286 to the factory default setting

If you ONLY want to change some items of setting, please skip this step.

Find the MAC address of the Grandstream. It is a 12 digits HEX number located on the bottom of the unit.

Encode the MAC address. The encode mapping is followed:

0-9: 0-9

A: 22

B: 222

C: 2222

D: 33

E: 333

F: 3333

e.g. if the MAC address is “000B820032e3”, it should be encoded as “0002228200323333”.

C. Restore the factory default setting

1.  Pick up the phone attached to the Grandstream HT286
  1. Dial *** or press the LED button for voice prompt.

1.     Enter 99 and get the voice prompt “Reset”

2. Enter the encoded MAC address of the device

2. Wait for about 15 seconds.

The Grandstream HT286 will reboot automatically and restore to factor default setting.

Step3. Obtain an IP address of the Grandstream HT286

Make sure “Dynamic IP Mode” is selected to acquire an IP address automatically

1. Pick up the phone attached to the Grandstream HT286

2. Dial *** and you will hear “Enter a new option”

3. Press 01. You will hear “Dynamic IP Mode” or “Static IP Mode”. The default setting is “Dynamic IP Mode”. If it is “Static IP Mode”, press 9 to hear “Dynamic IP Mode”.

4. Hang up the phone

B. Obtain a valid IP address of the Grandstream HT286

1. Pick up the phone attached to the Grandstream HT286

2. Dial ***. You will hear “Enter a new option”.

3. Dial 02.
  1. The Grandstream HT286 will read back its IP address. If this IP address is valid, you can immediately go to Step 5. Otherwise, you need to take the following Step C.

C. If the IP address of the Grandstream HT286 is 0.0.0.0, please take the following actions.

Hang up the phone, unplug and replug the HT286 power cord to reboot.

Wait a few minutes, then check the IP address again by Step B

If the IP address is still invalid, please check the following aspects.

The DHCP server does not assign an IP address to the Grandstream. Please configure the DHCP server.

The network does not have a DHCP server. Please configure a static IP address manually by Step 4.

Step 4. Configure a static IP address manually

If the Grandstreeam HT286 can not acquire a valid IP address automatically, it is necessary to configure a static IP address manually.

Obtain an IP address, a default gateway, a subnet mask and DNS server

Pick up the phone connected to the Grandstream.

Dial ***

Press 01 after you hear “Enter a new option”

Press 9 to hear “Static IP Mode”

Press # to hear “Enter a new option”

Press 02 to hear “IP address is xxxxxx”

Enter the 12-digit static IP address, for example, the IP address “192.168.1.168” is “192 168 001 168”. After inputting it, the device will read back this IP address.

Press 03 to hear “Subnet mask is xxxxxx”

Enter the 12-digit Subnet mask. After inputting it, the device will read back the subnet mask.

Press 04 to hear “Gateway is xxxxxx”

Enter the 12-digit gateway. After inputting it, the device will read back the gateway.

Press 05 to hear “DNS server is xxxxxx”

Enter the 12-digit DNS server. After inputting it, the device will read back the DNS server.

Step 5. Set the configuration of the Grandstream HT286

Open the admin login page by entering the following link into your web browser:

IP_address/ where IP address is the IP address of the Grandstream.

Enter the admin password “admin” and click on “login” button.

The configuration page will be displayed. Click on the “ADVANCED SETTING” tab link. Fill in those circled fields. Please do not modify other default values.

Then click on the “Update” button at the bottom of the configuration page. A save page will appear.

Finally click on the “Reboot” button on the save page. Wait for a few seconds and the configuration will become effective.

Ajri02:

Thank you. I appreciate the effort you put into entering your reply. But, with all due respect, you have not answered my question. I am already using a bunch of HT-286 ATAs. I have configured every one of them using exactly the method you describe. (It is also clearly described in the online documentation supplied by Grandstream.)

But there is another way to configure these devices. The device will attempt to download a configuration file from a tftp server. The online documentation describes this functionality, but does not describe the format of the configuration file that is served by the tftp server. THAT is what I seek. I would like to configure the tftp server on my network to provide automatic configuration to any known HT-286 that happens to come online.

Once again: does anybody have a description of that file format, or an example of such a file?

Thanks.

Hi

I think its this you are after

grandstream.com/support/configurationtool.html

Ian