How do you configure edge servers for load balancing and redundancy in Asterisk?

Hello Asterisk enthusiasts,

I hope everyone is doing well. I’m currently exploring the realm of load balancing and redundancy in Asterisk, and I’m seeking some guidance from the community.

Specifically, I’m interested in learning how to configure edge servers effectively for load balancing and redundancy purposes in Asterisk deployments. I understand the basic concepts behind load balancing and redundancy, but I’m keen to delve deeper into the practical implementation within Asterisk.

If anyone has experience or expertise in this area, I would greatly appreciate any insights, tips, or resources you could share. Additionally, if there are any pitfalls or common mistakes to avoid, I’d love to hear about those as well.

Thank you in advance for your help and support. I look forward to learning from the community’s collective knowledge and experiences.

Howdy!

There’s been various thoughts on this over the years… here are but a few…

1. One good option is to configure your SIP phones to register to multiple Asterisk servers at the same time, both a primary (edge?) and a backup (cloud?) server. This is one of the HA approaches taken by the Wazo project.

2. Another HA option is to share between servers the floating IP that phones register to. This is one of the HA approaches taken by the commercial offerings from Sangoma for FreePBX.

3. If your configuration will rarely change, and you expect fewer than a few hundred concurrent calls and connected phones, and manual redundancy activation is acceptable to you, then letting it all ride on one box while automatically taking good backups to your (separate) backup server and having a cold spare that you can boot up and let it rsync from your (separate) backup server is perhaps another viable approach.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.