Help in selecting cheap/good hardware

Hi ,
I am completely newbie to Asterisk.
I am paying too much for my mobile every month, recently I found this article
junghanns.net/en/callback.html

I thought of setting up that to reduce my mobile bill. At home I am using Sunrocket VOIP phone service. I have free calls between my mobile and home phone.

Can I setup Asterisk with my VOIP service?

I have following hardware in my desktop

1. GIGABYTE GA-K8N Pro-SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard with 1394b
  2. AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 2.2GHz Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3700BNBOX

And running WinXP Home/Ubuntu Edgy on my desktop.

Could you please suggest a cheap/good hardware to setup Asterisk with my desktop?
I googled so much to find out hardware but I am confused which one to take.

Thanks in advance.

no need to duplicate post was there ?

Hi

Anything P3 800 and up realy.

yes yes yes I know people have got it running on 200Mhz machines.

Another option is to look at the openwrt port to the linksys wrt54 router

Ian

I am sorry for duplicating the post, after posting here I thought I need to post in “user” section instead of this.

Thanks ianplain,

I will use my existing desktop, my questions is not about the processor and mother board. I mean to ask for the hardware card which i need to configure with Asterisk. Is any modem card or some thing … like that.

What did you mean by using this port…for what?

Well its possible to run asteisk on a linksys wrt54g router. thats what i meant

I don’t suppose there’s a howto on this, is there? Can you then implement the GUI interface with a browser as well, to have a nice web interface for configuration, etc.? Is it a safe bet that this would be strictly for VOIP and/or softphone usage? Can you tell I’m new at this?

a google search will reveal many results…

now I am thinking you really didnt need me to tell you that…so why did you ask?

voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+Linksys+WRT54G