Google Voice & Asterisk

I’m an Asterisk amateur, though not a newb. I am sef taught and, for the most part, have had to be my own tech support. There’s always been a tutorial, forum question, or something similar that I’ve been able to find to solve problems.

This one is tough though. I would like to get my system set up to use Google Voice to make outgoing calls. It doesn’t matter to me if that’s via Google Talk, Gizmo5, or an IPKall number, as long as it’s free, and doesn’t require a POTS line.

The problem I’m having is that all of the tutorials and helps I’ve found that describe how to do it, usually using Gizmo5, IPKall or Sipgate, require FreePBX. I don’t use FreePBX, and haven’t got a clue how to translate the lingo into something I’m familiar with.

Anyone know of such a tutorial that is based on a naked asterisk installation? If it makes any difference, I’m also on Ubuntu, not CentOS (another common thread).

The point I’m at right now is the following:

[quote]In FreePBX/trixbox
Trunk:

Add Custom Trunk, leave everything blank except
Custom Dial String: local/$OUTNUM$@gv-outbound

Outbound Route:

Add Route, leave everything blank/default except
Route Name: Google Voice
Dial Pattern: 48|NXXNXXXXXX
Trunk Sequence: local/$OUTNUM$@gv-outbound

Custom Destination:

Add Custom Destination
Custom Destination: gv-inbound,s,1
Description: GV-Inbound

Inbound Routes:

Add Incoming Route, leave everything blank/default except
Description: ipkall for GV
DID: ipkall <== this is whatever your set the SIP Phone Number to on the ipkall website.
Custom Destinations: GV-Inbound[/quote]
How does this translate to entries in various .conf files?

I have pygooglevoice installed, but haven’t gotten far enough to see if it’s working. Same with simplejson.

Thanks!

I’m not aware of any tutorial on this out there but I’m also trying to use gv with Asterisk for outgoing calls, however, I do use FreePBX, so I was able to look it up for you. I found them in extensions_custom.conf and extensions_additional.conf, which are includes in extensions.conf w/o FreePBX. The inbound/outbound contexts are in custom and the trunk/route in additional. additional include is the second entry, right below freepbx_override include, in extensions.conf followed by custom include. So, you’d put your contexts/routes/trunks at the very top of your extensions.conf.

Hope it helps some…