Error, notice

hi all… i’ve been seeing a lot of these lately in the asterisk log. the XXXXXXXXXXX is the number assigned to the box. can anybody please explain what would this want to say. which extension is not found?!

thanks…

[Feb 15 22:29:24] NOTICE[3375]: chan_sip.c:13859 handle_request_invite: Call from '' to extension 'XXXXXXXXXXX' rejected because extension not found.
[Feb 15 22:31:49] NOTICE[3375]: chan_sip.c:13859 handle_request_invite: Call from '' to extension 'XXXXXXXXXXX' rejected because extension not found.
[Feb 15 22:31:49] NOTICE[3375]: chan_sip.c:13859 handle_request_invite: Call from '' to extension 'XXXXXXXXXXX' rejected because extension not found.
[Feb 15 22:31:50] NOTICE[3375]: chan_sip.c:13859 handle_request_invite: Call from '' to extension 'XXXXXXXXXXX' rejected because extension not found.

Extension XXXXXXXXXXX is not found.

I believe current versions also tell you the context, so you need to specify the version.

Check if you have extension XXXXXXXXXXX defined in the appropriate context. Asterisk does not seem to be able to find extension XXXXXXXXXXX.

Edit: Sorry david55, did not notice you already answered this.

hi there… thanks for the reply. the extensions file starts with:

exten => _XX.,1,Answer()

which is there because XXXXXXXXXXX is the current phone number assigned to the machine but it varies. there are no other extensions to be rerouted or redirected. most of it is ‘press 1 to hear something’ and then that goes to a different context in the same dial plan. the call has to go through the XXXXXXXXXXX to get to the machine. but there is an 800 number in front of the XXXXXXXXXXX which is the only number published for that service. and it works as expected. almost. but sometimes i see those lines i sent over in the asterisk real time monitor. sometimes a lot of them. i do not understand how the “extension can not be found” since it’s the only one to dial into the box and after that it’s not ever referenced again in the dial plan…

the version of asterisk is 1.4…

thanks…

extensions.conf needs to start with a context name.

There are many sub-versions of 1.4, most of which are badly broken.

it does. the first line in the that context is:

exten => _XX.,1,Answer()

that still doesn’t explain the error.

the exact asterisk version is 1.4.17… is that famous to have any unusual errors like the one i get?

well I would think a

dialplan show (contextname)

would be the first thing to look at and verify that what you think should be in there is in fact what asterisk is running with.

I tend to suspect that the context at the top of the file is not actually the context associated with the incoming call.

He’s got an empty peername/username, so I suspect he has allowguest enabled and he is falling through on the current default incoming context.