Different softphone "line" based on DID?

I have a single channel 2 DID trunk that I want to use to route calls to a single laptop based on the DID that was called and be able to tell what DID was called so I know what greeting to answer with. Can DID 1 go to x-lite’s line 1 and DID 2 go to x-lite’s line 2 so I can identify the DID that was called?

If not, what other ways can this be achieved other than having more that 1 soft/hard phone receiving calls?

[quote=“vbsaltydog”]I have a single channel 2 DID trunk that I want to use to route calls to a single laptop based on the DID that was called and be able to tell what DID was called so I know what greeting to answer with. Can DID 1 go to x-lite’s line 1 and DID 2 go to x-lite’s line 2 so I can identify the DID that was called?

If not, what other ways can this be achieved other than having more that 1 soft/hard phone receiving calls?[/quote]

No, because you can’t be registered twice using the same credentials…each successful registration will knock the previous one off.

If you’re using Asterisk, you can use separate extensions for each phone and route calls based on DID and point them to the two extensions.

…or talk your provider into giving you a second set of login credentials.

[quote=“kapil”][quote=“vbsaltydog”]
If you’re using Asterisk, you can use separate extensions for each phone and route calls based on DID and point them to the two extensions.[/quote][/quote]

This is my question. How can I have asterisk detect the DID and send the call to a single softphone with line 1 of the softphone going matching DID 1 and line 2 of the softphone matching DID 2 ?

call to DID 1 --> asterisk --> softphone line 1
call to DID 2 --> asterisk --> softphone line 2

You can only register the softphone with asterisk once so is there a way to do the DID to softphone line mapping?

If not, are there any other techniques to tell the softphone display what DID was called?

call to DID 1 --> asterisk --> softphone extension with info on the DID in the display?

Thanks

X-Lite only allows 1 extension. There’s really no such thing as a “line”. You can have multiple call appearances and multiple extensions.

To do what you’re trying to do, which is basically discern the calls based on what number the caller dialed to reach you, you can do a couple of different things.

You can get the paid version of CounterPath softphone which allows for multiple extensions. Then, register two extensions and route 1 DID to each extension.

Or you can configure distinctive ring tones for the two DIDs. Or you can have Asterisk pass some text that tells you what DID the call came in on.

Many ways to thread this needle…depends on your level of Asterisk expertise, how much cash you want to part with and how much the solution is worth to you, in currency or time.

At first glance it would seem that setting a distinct ring tone to each of the DIDs would work but then I also need to be able to place calls from each of the DID numbers and have it show up in the caller id as X Corp or Y Corp based on the DID so I suppose this leaves only one method which is seperate extensions for each DID.

I was not aware that Counterpath had a paid softphone with multi-extension support. Having said that, are there any IP phones with multi-extension support that are reliable, easy to configure and the same price as the Counterpath softphone that are better bang for the buck?

Thanks again.

Well, the beauty of Asterisk is that you can make it do whatever you want. Quite literally.

If you so desired, you could actually configure Asterisk to alter the outpulsed caller id based on some code you entered before the dialed number.

Other than earning geek points, there is little reason for doing it that way because for all practical reasons, it’s just so much quicker and simpler to use a phone that supports more than one extension.

Pretty much all hardware IP phones support more than one extension. The Linksys SPA-941/942 are an excellent choice.

CounterPath does have a paid product that supports multiple lines. It also has many other features like video calling, presence/IM etc.

The CounterPath product is the best softphone I’ve used. Softphones offered by most IP Telephony providers out there are just custom-skinned versions of the CounterPath product.

If cost is a factor, there are some free/open source alternatives as well…but, again, the CounterPath product, IMHO, is vastly superior to all of them.

Plus, they deserve our support for giving X-Lite to the world for free.

There are also IAX softphones…most of them free. I prefer Dante’s dIAX. It’s not pretty, visually, but excellent in all other respects.

I reviewed the docs and the Counterpath Eyebeam 1.5 looked good so I got it.

Thanks for the info.