Designing a brand new IPPBX

Folks,

I am a newbie to this forum, so please be gentle…

Below is a diagram for a home/workshop I am planning to purchase. As shown, I plan on using static IP addresses for both ADSL (SDSL if need be) and Cable to the server running Windows SBS2003R2 Premium, along with one of two analog PSTN lines dedicated for fax use via the server. I know the DSL will enter the domecile via the primary line for the PSTN lines…

My question now becomes this: I want to run my own IPPBX to share use of the remaining analog PSTN line. I would prefer to purchase a separate server (HP PROLIANT DL380 G2 with dual 1.4GHZ CPUs, 2GB RAM, and six 36GB HDDs) to run the IPPBX system (I know it is WAY overkill). I wish to keep all the PBX stuff separate from the network, but if they can be combined without interference, then I am willing to do that. I would prefer to run a Windows-based system, but if Asterisk can handle a server in this configuration, that is also cool. I will go with hard phones for the telephones, but what is a suggested gateway? I want to run my own stuff. I only have basic needs for voice mail, internal system intercom, and call forwarding…

Thanks in advance…

That’s quite similar to what I am looking at doing, but with way more overkill! Two heavy duty servers? Are you using IP phones or ATAs?

From what I understand (and I’m new at this too), you should be able to put the IP phones on the same network without any problem. In fact I probably would have it at least accessible for easy administration. But if you want them separated, you might make the IP stuff a different subnet (e.g. 192.168.1.x for IP and 192.168.0.x for general network, with a subnet mask of 255.225.255.0).

From what I understand Asterisk is really a Unix/Linux thing. I think it can run on Windows, but not sure. You could probably always run a Linux VM on your windows machine, or vice versa - they are certainly powerful enough.

For the PSTN gateway, from what I understand, you should be able to use any FXO device - that’s part of the beauty of VoIP - mix and match. See this site for a home type setup: http://www.ambor.com/public/home_pabx/home_pabx.html Its smaller than what I am doing and what it looks like you are doing, but it has the same ideas.

Hi

That looks fine, But for such small system what on this earth are you going to use 6 36G drives for ???

The spec of the server alon will handle in excess of a 100 extensions in a busy office. you would be far better to use a lower powered box and use the money you save on the electricy bill to buy nice handsets…

Ian

ian,

Remember one item I ABSOLUTELY demanded is voice mail from inbound calls, hence use the RAID 5 array for storing those voice mail .wav files until they are deleted…

Yeah, but how long do you keep the things? Besides, why not just do a raid 1 with 1 TB hard drives? Seems alot cheaper (about $100 / hard drive) and all the space you could possibly ever imagine.

Here’s some calculations:
Assuming 64 kbit/s audio (might be high - I can store music in ogg/vorbis at 64kb/s and not be able to tell)
64 kb/s = 8 kB/s
1 MB: 1024/8 = 128 s
1 GB: 1024128 s = 131072 s = 36.41 hour = 1.517 days
1 TB: 1024
36.41 hour = 37282.70 hour = 1553.45 days = 4.253 years

I think a few GB might just serve - unless you plan you record all your calls and archive them for years! :smiley:

[quote=“dvelleux”]Folks,

My question now becomes this: I want to run my own IPPBX to share use of the remaining analog PSTN line. I would prefer to purchase a separate server (HP PROLIANT DL380 G2 with dual 1.4GHZ CPUs, 2GB RAM, and six 36GB HDDs) to run the IPPBX system (I know it is WAY overkill). I

Thanks in advance…[/quote]

Just a word of caution - if using FXS (required for analogue line) then you might want to check that your card doesn’t require a separate 5/12v connection. I am using DL380 with AsteriskNow but am now stuck as there are no “standard” connections to provide power to the card. Not sure about the G2 but I am using a G3 and have to work out how to get the power to the card.

I am using the OpenVox card (at least to work through the technical evaluation of the hardware / software) and this REQUIRES a 5/12V supply for the ring.

Regards
Stubaloo