Database Integration of Aastra Hardphone (Is this possible?)

Hello this is my first post on this forum! :smiley:

I would like to ask for help if you have any ideas (or is it possible) to implement the following feature…

What we have
We have an online database listing the Name, Phone # and other transaction details of all our clients, right now it is installed on a server and it was developed using Ruby On Rails. On another Server we have Asterisk and about 8 Aastra 9133i IP Phones.

Our scenario
Our Agents have 1 computer each and 1 Aastra Phone usually what they do is they look at the database, dial the number in the Aastra Phone to call our clients but this takes a lot of company time because there are times that they dial the wrong number…

What we’ve tried
I have used ZOIPER Softphone and X-PRO to test on the computer but the agent who tested it complained of quality issues. I have also used a USB Headset to make sure that its not using the current sound card but still having the same issues.

What I would like to accomplish
Is it possible to integrate the database to the Aastra Phones in such a way that the clicked number from the computer will be passed to the Aastra phone?
For example the agent will click the phone number and it will dial the number and then pass this line to one of the Aastra phones?

If you have any more ideas to achieve this task that I’m all ears!

Thanks very much for all your help!

[quote=“jmisa”]Hello this is my first post on this forum! :smiley:
[/quote]

Welcome! :smile:

First of all, you are doing the right thing moving away from softphones. You already have the Aastra phones you bought and paid for, you may as well get some usage out of them, right? Your people are already familiar and comfortable with them.

What you need is an application generically known as click to dial. Conceptually -and in practice- this is very similar to clicking an URL and having the browser connect you to it right away.

When the application receives the click on some phone number, it does 3 things:

(1) Starts a call to the clicked phone number
(2) Starts another call to the phone on the desk of the user
(3) Bridges the two calls

The above can be done at a number of layers and protocols (using ISDN, etc.) but in this day and age, with all the public knowledge and expertise about open telephony, is should be a piece of cake to implement in SIP -by somebody who knows SIP programming, that is.

-Ramon

jmisa (and any other interested reader):

In my stack of “Things to Do” I have the implementation of the described “click to dial” application. I should be able to find the programming talent, and have plenty of experience managing this type of programming project.

Perhaps you would be interested in sharing costs? We should at the very least talk about it, perhaps we could do something together. If interested, just drop me a line to ‘ramon at forcewise dot com’.

Obviously, if somebody can point to an existent application (with source code), we are all eyes and ears.

-RFH

Hi

This version of click2call has been done many many times and the code is all over the web.
a tutorial for it is here voipuser.org/forum_topic_9971.html done by Dean and myself some while ago.
This is the simple version, My deployed version include logging and email notification of each call to the agents.

Ian

[quote=“ianplain”]Hi

This version of click2call has been done many many times and the code is all over the web.
a tutorial for it is here voipuser.org/forum_topic_9971.html done by Dean and myself some while ago.
This is the simple version, My deployed version include logging and email notification of each call to the agents.

Ian[/quote]

Hi Ian!

Thanks for providing that link (and the code, too).

Having said that, after looking into your solution, I have sadly concluded that it doesn’t address my needs, or those of the OP (obviously, I can’t speak for him).

Thanks to this thread (thanks, OP!), I decided to move this “Click-to-Call” project to the front burner and took some steps. This is what I did…

I posted a job (called Request for Bids) in Rent-A-Coder. Its purpose is to implement the desired functionality. The requested software will have two parts: a GUI for demo purposes, and the actual meat that performs the calling and the switching. Notice that I have touse C/C++, as the eventual application will be running inside Adobe Acrobat, in the form of a plugin which will recognize (still not sure how!) underlined (?) phone numbers in the text and call them. This is pretty much what the OP wanted.

Here is my posted job:
rentacoder.com/RentACoder/mi … tId=852679
tinyurl.com/26wmj2

Looking through the coder’s info, there were about twenty who include the word “SIP” among their skills, and 2 of them have answered.

I will have some specific questions, and I am really, really grateful for your kind guidance into this.

-Ramon

[quote=“jmisa”]Hello this is my first post on this forum! :smiley:

I would like to ask for help if you have any ideas (or is it possible) to implement the following feature…

What we have
We have an online database listing the Name, Phone # and other transaction details of all our clients, right now it is installed on a server and it was developed using Ruby On Rails. On another Server we have Asterisk and about 8 Aastra 9133i IP Phones.

Our scenario
Our Agents have 1 computer each and 1 Aastra Phone usually what they do is they look at the database, dial the number in the Aastra Phone to call our clients but this takes a lot of company time because there are times that they dial the wrong number…

What we’ve tried
I have used ZOIPER Softphone and X-PRO to test on the computer but the agent who tested it complained of quality issues. I have also used a USB Headset to make sure that its not using the current sound card but still having the same issues.

What I would like to accomplish
Is it possible to integrate the database to the Aastra Phones in such a way that the clicked number from the computer will be passed to the Aastra phone?
For example the agent will click the phone number and it will dial the number and then pass this line to one of the Aastra phones?

If you have any more ideas to achieve this task that I’m all ears!

Thanks very much for all your help![/quote]

More relevant links here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3pcc
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3725

-RFH

[quote=“ianplain”]Hi

Ian[/quote]

Ian:

As I said before, I looked through your code and I can’t figure it out (I am an experience programmer). I have written a callback application on Dialogic boards (no SIP at all, lower level than that). To me the most critical part is the bridge, and I can’t find it in your code.

Anyway, my biggest unknown is this. In the application there must be a REINVITE issued by somebody, correct? AFAIK, reinvites are sort of optional, and governed by some misterious rules. Is there any way for my 3PCC app to contact both parties (“called” and “caller”) and tell them:

“You two must use reinvite and talk among yourselves because in a couple of seconds I will terminate. This PC will crash in 5 seconds”

or something to that effect?

It seems to me that I am looking at the problem from the RFC3261 viewpoint while your scripts solve it having Asterisk do everything?

In other words, I am implementing my own tiny mini-Asterisk, or softphone, but you are not (?)

Your comments are most welcome and appreciated!

-Ramon

i dont understand why dont you use asterisk callback function, really simple. Firs you need to develop simple application to show you database data, 2 buttons integrated search&call, generate text file, based on selected line and user loggie in, system call’s you back, my boss did one in a half of hour by using windev.

Hi Ramon

What the code I mentions is a asterisk based click to call for website users to place callback calls to “agents” the call is established by the AMI . first the agent is called then the person requesting the call, obviuosly this can be reversed.

Asterisk can and does in many occasions be set to sit in the midle and reinvite the media off but in most cases its proxied. This is for call loging and user logging

It sounds as if you want a pure sip based solution with no PBX then you need to look at sipsak as it will do this AFAIK.

astjax for firefox uses the same backend for its clicktocall from firefox

Ian

First of all, my environment will not necessarily be based on Windows.

I am developing a customized version of Adobe Acrobat (and let’s not forget the meaning of the initial “P” in “PDF”). One of its features is that the user can click on a URI (i.e., phone number) and Acrobat will perform the call establishment.

The only language allowed for Acrobat plugins is C/C++ and my applications may run on Acrobat for Mac, Linux or Solaris.

I don’t want to get married to Microsoft, or even to Asterisk.

So, there…

-Ramon

Hello RamonFHerrera and ianplain I would like to thank you both for introducing me to the click to dial function. So far this is what I’ve been able to research regarding CLICK TO DIAL.

I hope that this will bring light to the people who might actually stumble across the same issues our company want to implement.
So far our Asterisk developer is looking into how to integrate our online database to the asterisk server and the links I found below were all useful.

voip-info.org/wiki/view/Aste … ck+to+call
asteriskextras.com/index.php … 2&Itemid=2
xs4all.nl/~jlpoutre/BoT/Grea … 20beta.htm
voipjots.com/2006/02/click-t … khome.html
voipuser.org/forum_topic_6145.html
forums.digium.com/viewtopic.php? … a2e3ca8bc2
help.trixbox.com/CRM_Integration_Guide
forum.voxilla.com/phonegnome-sup … 22174.html
asteriskit.com.au/Page/ClickForAsterisk

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread!

Hi
How is the company directory displayed to the user ? is it via a web interface.
if it is, you could use Astjax, It changes phone numbers into links. In the original version the extension is hard coded, I have got over this and now its totaly universal, With the user being asked their extension number the first time they use it

If you need more info please PM me

Ian