Compiling zaptel [resolved]

help me out on how to start Asterisk…i downloaded the packages needed and have here a reference…says that to compile zaptel, the hash symbol needs to be removed in the default makefile…here’s the exact line: modules=zaptel tor2 torisa wcusb wcfxo wctdm\ ztdynamic ztd-eth wct1xxp wct4xxp wcte11xp # ztdummy…the problem is, cant find that line…help me!!! needed it so badly!!!

What reference are you using? Do you mean you couldn’t compile ztdummy? Which version of Zaptel? What operating system? Basic information you need to compile is included in the README file.

actually, we got this error message:

[root@localhost zaptel-1.4.2]# cd /usr/src/zaptel-1.4.2

[root@localhost zaptel-1.4.2]# make clean

grep: /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/build/include/linux/autoconf.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: Entering directory /usr/src/zaptel-1.4.2/menuselect' rm -f menuselect gmenuselect *.o make[1]: Leaving directory/usr/src/zaptel-1.4.2/menuselect’
rm -f torisatool makefw tor2fw.h radfw.h
rm -f fxotune fxstest sethdlc-new ztcfg ztdiag ztmonitor ztspeed zttest zttool
rm -f *.o ztcfg tzdriver sethdlc sethdlc-new
rm -f libtonezone.so libtonezone.a *.lo
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/build SUBDIRS=/usr/src/zaptel-1.4.2 clean
make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
make: *** [clean] Error 2

tried downloading the kernel code…
hoping it will work out now…

Yeah, follow README.Linux26

hey buddy, can i just get your email address? really need someone thats quiet an expert with the Asterisk technology…

could you?need it soon so i could contact you directly with your email address…

thanks!

i needed assistance with the installation…primarily with how to start with the Asterisk installation… wanted to know guys if what linux distribution works best with Asterisk…

PS: what version of Asterisk are you using now? coz we find a slight problem with Asterisk 1.4…

need you reply ASAP!!!

thanks much!!!

There are people using all kinds of distributions with Asterisk. Personally, I have 1.2.x on Ubuntu/Debian, 1.4.x on RedHat. These are not much based on choice, but more on availability. I still have open issues with Zaptel 1.4.x on RedHat 7.3.

If you have resolved the original Zaptel problem, it’s best to summarize your solution, then update the title of original post to indicate [resolved], then start a new thread for other issues.

actually,still have not resolved the original dilemma here…
we really cant compile zaptel…
i guess i posted the error we got from yesterdays compilation…
i think the problem is accounted for the OS we have here…

gonna download kernel 2.6…
keep in touch will you?
needed assistance really…

You may want to post the exact steps you have taken since yesterday, and any change in error message. README.Linux26 says that kernel 2.6 does not require full source, but just headers. Follow those instructions.

hi,

i think you are running fc6…based on the error…and i also think that you need to install the kernel-sources and kernel-devel…you can try and use yum…

if unsure you may try this: yum -y groupinstall “Development Tools”

but this would download a bunch of rpms…

hope this helps…

actually, this is the error message that we got yesterday…

[root@localhost zaptel-1.4.2]# cd /usr/src/zaptel-1.4.2

[root@localhost zaptel-1.4.2]# make clean

grep: /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/build/include/linux/autoconf.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: Entering directory /usr/src/zaptel-1.4.2/menuselect' rm -f menuselect gmenuselect *.o make[1]: Leaving directory/usr/src/zaptel-1.4.2/menuselect’
rm -f torisatool makefw tor2fw.h radfw.h
rm -f fxotune fxstest sethdlc-new ztcfg ztdiag ztmonitor ztspeed zttest zttool
rm -f *.o ztcfg tzdriver sethdlc sethdlc-new
rm -f libtonezone.so libtonezone.a *.lo
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/build SUBDIRS=/usr/src/zaptel-1.4.2 clean
make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
make: *** [clean] Error 2

and we did the same today, to make and make clean…
got this error…

make[1]: Entering directory /usr/src/zaptel-1.4.2.1/menuselect' make[2]: Entering directory/usr/src/zaptel-1.4.2.1/menuselect’
make[3]: Entering directory /usr/src/zaptel-1.4.2.1/menuselect/mxml' autoconf make[3]: autoconf: Command not found make[3]: *** [config.h] Error 127 make[3]: Leaving directory/usr/src/zaptel-1.4.2.1/menuselect/mxml’
make[2]: *** [mxml/libmxml.a] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory /usr/src/zaptel-1.4.2.1/menuselect' make[1]: *** [all] Error 2 make[1]: Leaving directory/usr/src/zaptel-1.4.2.1/menuselect’
make: *** [menuselect/menuselect] Error 2

tell me whats wrong with this one…
actually, we tried compiling zaptel on another machine and it was successful…but with the machine we’ve been using since yesterday,there really are bugs…

help me out!!!1

that’s it, you do not have kernel-sources and kernel-devel installed…

guess so…
gonna install the kernel source now…
hope it goes well…

thanks though!!!

problem resolved!