Codec Translation Issues


#1

I currently have two asterisk 1.6.2.2 machines that seem to give a strange output for core show traslation. One machine currently looks right and the only difference is that one is a centos vm on Intel® Xeon® CPU E5420 @ 2.50GHz, and the two that dont work are centos installs on Intel® Xeon® CPU E5420 @ 2.50GHz.

The two installs that are broken look like this:

Source Format (Rows) Destination Format (Columns)

       g723   gsm  ulaw  alaw g726aal2 adpcm  slin lpc10  g729 speex  ilbc  g726  g722 siren7 siren14 slin16
 g723     -     -     -     -        -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -      -       -      -
  gsm     -     -     -     -        -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -      -       -      -
 ulaw     -     -     -     1        -     -     1     -     -     -     -     -     -      -       -      -
 alaw     -     -     1     -        -     -     2     -     -     -     -     -     -      -       -      -

g726aal2 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
adpcm - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
slin - - 1 1 - - - - - - - - - - - -
lpc10 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
g729 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
speex - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
ilbc - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
g726 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
g722 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
siren7 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
siren14 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
slin16 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The vm which looks right looks like this:

      Source Format (Rows) Destination Format (Columns)

       g723   gsm  ulaw  alaw g726aal2 adpcm  slin lpc10  g729 speex  ilbc  g726  g722 siren7 siren14 slin16
 g723     -     -     -     -        -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -      -       -      -
  gsm     -     -  1001  1001     2000  1001  1000  2999     -     -     -  2000  2000      -       -   3000
 ulaw     -  1000     -     1     1001     2     1  2000     -     -     -  1001  1001      -       -   2001
 alaw     -  1000     1     -     1001     2     1  2000     -     -     -  1001  1001      -       -   2001

g726aal2 - 1999 1001 1001 - 1001 1000 2999 - - - 2000 2000 - - 3000
adpcm - 1000 2 2 1001 - 1 2000 - - - 1001 1001 - - 2001
slin - 999 1 1 1000 1 - 1999 - - - 1000 1000 - - 2000
lpc10 - 2999 2001 2001 3000 2001 2000 - - - - 3000 3000 - - 4000
g729 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
speex - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
ilbc - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
g726 - 1998 1000 1000 1999 1000 999 2998 - - - - 1999 - - 2999
g722 - 1999 1001 1001 2000 1001 1000 2999 - - - 2000 - - - 1000
siren7 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
siren14 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
slin16 - 2999 2001 2001 3000 2001 2000 3999 - - - 3000 1000 - - -

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated thanks.


#2

Nothing obviously wrong. The first one only has the G.711 codec loaded.


#3

Right. The thing is that they are both default installs and have the same codecs in the their /usr/lib/asterisk/modules directories. I cant find any config that controls which are loaded and all the instructions ive read just say to plop the codec in that directory and restart asterisk. What am i missing or where should i dig. Thanks.


#4

I’m back to report that i have found the issue. Our modules.conf looked like this:

[modules]
autoload=no ; only load explicitely declared modules

;Codec
load => codec_alaw.so ; alaw codec for voice
load => codec_ulaw.so ; ulaw codec for voice
load => codec_a_mu.so ; A-law and Mulaw derect Coder/Decoder. G711

autoload off and only two codecs loaded. I added the codecs i wanted to load and its fine. I thought that the configs were identical cause it was i that had synched them up. That slowed me down thinking i was already right about stuff. Never assume!