(Cisco) PSTN Gateway and Asterisk

Hi everybody.

For a project, i have to study an Asterisk solution.
I understand well the use of Asterisk but i’ve a question.

I have IP Phones (SIP or H323) and softphones which are connected on my asterisk server.
Also, i have to use a PSTN (T1) Gateway which transforms IP Stream to Analogic Signals.
Between asterisk and gateway, can communications circulate on a SIP (or H323) stream ??

The gateway is used for outbound and inbound calls.

I know it would be easiest if i used a ISDN Interface, like TE110P, but i don’t choose :smile:

Thanks for your help, and sorry if my english is bad.

Hi Aurelius,

I’m also working on a project analyzing Asterisk. Or actually I’m graduating on Asterisk. First of all if you’re dutch I have a few links for you that are very usefull setting up an IP Tel environment with Asterisk.

Second: I don’t know what you mean by circulating communications. Could you be more specific?

First of all i’m french :smile:

“circulating communications” means : does calls can circulate on a SIP (H323) stream ?

To be more specific, i put an ethernet card on the asterisk server, i want to use it to “trunk” outgoing calls. I think it’s possible.

Also, can people of the outside call the others who are on the local network, using the PSTN Gateway ?

[quote=“aurelius”]First of all i’m french :smile:

“circulating communications” means : does calls can circulate on a SIP (H323) stream ?

To be more specific, i put an ethernet card on the asterisk server, i want to use it to “trunk” outgoing calls. I think it’s possible.

Also, can people of the outside call the others who are on the local network, using the PSTN Gateway ?[/quote]

First of all SIP doesn’t handle the mediastreams but only the call setup. Second: To bad you’re french I’m dutch.
Third: You would link the Gateway to the * server with Ethernet and yes it’s possible to call outside through the gateway. Also inbound calls are possible. You can configure this in your dialplan where you can make rules how to handle these questions. Ik you’re just starting with asterisk I would recommend using Asterisk@home. It’s to easy to setup and very easy to configure using AMP.

asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/

Hope this helps

oh my god, i wrote that ? :open_mouth:

i think i’ve to review my lessons lol.
Otherwise, i don’t understand how calls will be transmit beetween asterisk and the gateway ?? SIP won’t be used, will it ?

thx for your help, and sorry i can’t speak german :frowning:

oh my god, i wrote that ? :open_mouth:

i think i’ve to review my lessons lol.
Otherwise, i don’t understand how calls will be transmit beetween asterisk and the gateway ?? SIP won’t be used, will it ?

thx for your help, and sorry i can’t speak german :frowning:[/quote]

It depends, a gateway is just a box converting signaling protocols to let terminals communicate with each other. So in case you have a SIP phone connected to asterisk and you want to dial an outside analog line (like ISDN) then it will be SIP from asterisk to the gateway and in the gateway it will be translated into a signaling protocol used by ISDN.

I think this is what happens. Correct me if I’m wrong though!