I’m trying to use DNS SRV while setting a PJSIP trunk between two Asterisk 16 boxes in my lab.
My ultimate goal is use domain name s in trunking instead of IP addresses.
On box A, as a first step, endpoint B is configured with (details skipped):
This works OK: testbed2 is shown as reachable on box A.
I’ve configured on box A a Dnsmasq instance to provide local SRV resolution of foo.nodns.
Il seems to work OK (output is anonymized, errors may have been while doing so):
# dig srv _sip._udp.foo.nodns
; <<>> DiG 9.11.5-P4-5.1+deb10u7-Debian <<>> srv _sip._udp.foo.nodns
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 15738
;; flags: qr aa rd ra ad; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 2
;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;_sip._udp.foo.nodns. IN SRV
;; ANSWER SECTION:
_sip._udp.foo.nodns. 0 IN SRV 1 0 5060 sbc1.foo.nodns.
;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
sbc1.foo.nodns. 0 IN A 192.168.4.61
;; Query time: 0 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: mar. janv. 24 17:03:18 CET 2023
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 106
Now I’m trying to use foo.nodns or sbc1.foo.nodns instead of 192.168.4.61 in PJSIP config on box.
It fails : box A is not even trying to send any OPTION to foo.dns or sbc1.foo.nodns.
What am i missing ?
Did you reload asterisk after having worked on DNS ?
I found the root cause of the issue:
I forgot to include and set both dnsmgr.conf and resolve_unbound.conf (*) files in my /etc/asterisk folder.
For those having similar issues, “dnsmgr status” CLI command was helpful.
(*) I’m not certain resolve_unbound.conf is mandatory but copying it removed an Error during “Core reload”.
Thanks for helping
Replying to myself, now I don’t think root cause was either a missing dnsmgr.conf or resolve_unbound.conf.
I agree this is quite vague but I now think the root cause was some data persistence that kept this Asterisk instance from sending an OPTION message to the new IP address when name resolution changes.
I have the opportunity to do so, I’ll try to investigate on a newer Asterisk version (Bookworm’s 20.1, hopefully).
To summarize the issue:
- I’ve got 3 Asterisk 16.16 instances A, B and C
- B and C have almost the same configuration
- when changing DNS settings on A, I can switch trunking from A to B or A to C
- for an unknown reason, after changing DNS, trunking doesn’t work anymore
- after some time and/or after restarting hosts, trunking works again
While debugging, I saw a couple of messages like “resolving foo.example.com” but not enough data within this message to learn the source used to resolve names, nor the value of resolved IP address.
That’s actually an old issue, and failover was added in 2019.
Debian’s asterisk version may be even older !! ;-))
I found ASTERISK-28624 from 2019-11-20.
Maybe adding a reference to ASTERISK-28624 in ASTERISK-26380 would help.
I already did and closed it out.
This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.