Cannot get remote phone to work

I have a Cisco IP Phone 7940, and a Free PBX system. I cannot get the phone to register outside the network. I am very new to Asterisk, and have been trying to figure this out for quite a while now. I have port 5060 and have port 10000-20000 configured the way I want it as well. I am not sure what else to do at this point any help would be appreciated. If you need more information I will try my best to get it. Thanks.

As some of the Cisco SIP firmware has no support for NAT, I would debug this using a designed for the purpose SIP phone, first. (Cisco phones were intended for medium to large enterprises, where any remote access would be via VPN and therefore transparent to the phone.)

You haven’t adequately described your network, particularly with respect to whether Asterisk is inside or outside NAT, and exactly what outside means in relation to the registration process.

[quote=“david55”]As some of the Cisco SIP firmware has no support for NAT, I would debug this using a designed for the purpose SIP phone, first. (Cisco phones were intended for medium to large enterprises, where any remote access would be via VPN and therefore transparent to the phone.)

You haven’t adequately described your network, particularly with respect to whether Asterisk is inside or outside NAT, and exactly what outside means in relation to the registration process.[/quote]

Thank you for your reply. The Asterisk phone server is behind a Cisco router/firewall. Outside in this case simply means outside the LAN that the phone would normally operate on. How would I go about testing it? Could I use a softphone? Thanks

Also I looked at the firmware that this phone is running and according to Cisco it is compatible with NAT.

I’m still not clear about the network topology.

If Asterisk is on a private address and the phone is on a public address, You need to tell Asterisk what its localnets are and also provide it with a stunaddr, externip or externhost address (please check the spellings).

I don’t know how the router and phone handle NAT situations.