Can not past install_prereq script on Centos7

I was trying to install asterisk under Centos8 in a machine with a single TDM800 card, and failed to install the required packages.

Now under Centos7 1908 I am trying again. At first install_prereq replied with a lot of packages unavaiable, then I added EPEL repo and tried again. Now I have

No package speexdsp-devel available.
Package 1:mariadb-devel-5.5.64-1.el7.x86_64 already installed and latest version
No package iksemel-devel available.
No package libresample-devel available.
No package hoard available.
Nothing to do
#############################################
## install completed successfully
#############################################

Do I really need these missing packages? Where can I get them?

You do not need the speex codec for an analog card. The install_prereq script wants a few more modules that are not so popular any more. I usually run the script with the test option and install only the modules I really need individually.

I would do that also, but I still do not know the modules I need. :frowning:
Anyway, Centos 8 proved itself to be a challenge to build Asterisk 17 under.

I changed system to Centos 7 and now it builds ok. A bit off-topic but now my problem is the departure of chan_sip. pjsip is complaining about “sorcery objet type insert wizard”

I will be back with another call. For help

Maybe there are some minor changes, but meanwhile I have a couple of *-Servers running under CentOS 8. My rule of thumb is: if it’s not in the standard repos or already bundled, I probably don’t need it.

Good to know. I gave up on Centos 8 last week or so because I could not build asterisk 17.0.2. Many “xyz not found” stuff.
I understand your rule but I could not pass it thru my box :frowning:

The first question is: “Which functionality do I need?” Asterisk’s make knows about a lot of actually meanwhile obsolete packages.

When it comes to your CentOS 8 issues, I recommend to report your console output in the issue tracker. Now! Please.

No, as the script states, you went through it successfully.
Why these packages are not available, is discussed in ASTERISK-27739…

If you open the script install_prereq, you see a line called ‘basic requirements’. Those are the packages you really need. Then, you have a look at
$ make menuselect
if you need additional modules (and their dependent package). With the script install_prereq, you installed all available binary packages from your system distribution. That builds as much Asterisk modules as possible. If you need more or something special, you build that package yourself, which then allows you to build the Asterisk module.

If you want to go for error-less platforms, I recommend CentOS 7 or Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, and not the latest Asterisk standard release (currently 17) but the latest long-term support release: Asterisk 16 LTS. That still builds the SIP channel driver chan_sip on default.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.