Callerid and fromuser interaction

Hello all,
I am experiencing an issue with setting the callerID and the fromuser= peer setting.
I need to set my From: header to our “local” number so that calls will pass to my carrier.
To get outgoing CallerID working, my carrier indicated that we need to pass them a P-Asserted-Identity field with the callerid information in it to pass to the PSTN network.

Here’s the issue:
I have fromuser=717NXXXXXX in sip.conf
when I dial a number, the CALLERID function is called to set the appropriate callerID.
When the INVITE is sent, the From: field now contains BOTH numbers, the one set with CALLERID and the one set with fromuser=
The P-Asserted-Identity field is set properly.
The carrier sends the call but does not honor the callerID because the From: field has the number set by the CALLERID function and not the fromuser= setting.

sip.conf contains:
fromuser=717XXXXXXX
fromdomain=pbx.company.com

Here is an example of the INVITE:

From: “866XXXXXXX” sip:717XXXXXXX@pbx.company.com;tag=as42d57635
To: sip:1717XXXXXXX@nyc.teliax.net
Call-ID: 0261b43411b10f9855ef219c1ec76d01@pbx.company.com
CSeq: 102 INVITE
User-Agent: FPBX-2.9.0(1.8.6.0)
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 18:13:22 GMT
Allow: INVITE, ACK, CANCEL, OPTIONS, BYE, REFER, SUBSCRIBE, NOTIFY, INFO, PUBLISH
Supported: replaces, timer
P-Asserted-Identity: “866XXXXXXX” sip:866XXXXXXX@pbx.company.com
Content-Type: application/sdp
Content-Length: 237

I would think that fromuser= should override any callerID settings that are made on the channel and it should set the From: header appropriately? Is this by design or a bug? Any recommended workarounds?

Running Asterisk 1.8.6.0 and FreePBX 2.9.0

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

J

fromuser sets the user. It does not set the display name. It is working as intended.