Call Progress no longer works in DAHDI 2.4.0

We use Asterisk to make Robo Calls. Mostly we try to use SIP but still use DAHDI for PRI and Analog. IN DAHDI 2.4.0 the callprogress setting in chan_dahdi.conf no long has any effect. All calls that are dialed via analog FXS are answered as soon as they are dialed. Callprogress is supposed to make Asterisk listen to rings to determine when analog calls are answered. As a result we cannot upgrade to DAHDI 2.4.0 until this is working. Anybody know if there is additional configuration required for this to work in the new version of DAHDI?

I am also attempting to do outbound calls on analog lines and have run into the same problem where the call is considered answered as soon as the last digit is dialed. Can you tell me what version of DAHDI and Asterisk you are running that is working for you?

I was at Astricon two weeks ago and met the primary DAHDI driver developer. He is not involved with the Asterisk portion of DAHDI, but I showed him the problem. If I can get a working platform, then I can experiment with different versions to see where it breaks. Then I can pass that information along and maybe a resolution can be found.

I did further testing and as far as I can tell, analog call progress DOES work with DAHDI version 2.4.0 and even the latest 2.5.0.2 as of 2011-11-06 with Asterisk 1.6.x, but does not work with Asterisk 1.8.x or Asterisk 10.

With recent versions of Asterisk, you must use Progress() for in band progress to work. I presume this is because it sometimes get treated as answering, and may start charging.

More info please, you use progress in the dialplan?

Please read UPGRADE.txt

The upgrade-1.8.txt file doesn’t tell me much. Can’t seem to find much about it on google. No examples anyway. I’m using the AMI to do bot dialing.

I’ll figure it out eventually…

The update was in 1.6.2 and it is the first item:

From 1.6.1 to 1.6.2:

• SIP no longer sends the 183 progress message for early media by
    default. Applications requiring early media should use the
    progress() dialplan app to generate the progress message.

svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/bran … PGRADE.txt

Got it but using AMI to initiate a call doesn’t start the diaplan until after the call has been answered (dahdi picks it up). So how does adding the progress command to the dialplan do anything if progress isn’t even used until after its been flagged as answered? So I guess what I’m asking is there an API command for it? I can’t seem to find info. Maybe I’m making this harder then it is.

Oh wait…

I didn’t know that you could use application with orignate. So it would be something like this.

Action: Originate
Channel: Local/1@dummy
Application: ((Asterisk cmd Progress))
other crap…

See:

issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-18841

Yup that’s exactly my problem. Running a TDM400 as well, not sure if that makes a bit of diff or not but yeah.

Any idea when the patch will be included?

Negative. No idea. Users posting to the issue noting that they’ve tested the patch and it solves their problem will go a long way towards moving it forward.