Best practice GUI incoming trunks (exten vs provider?)

Hello.

I setup an Asterisk system that includes a SPA3102 (1 FSX/1 FSO). I was able to get the incoming line working right away, but I had some grief getting the outbound calling to work.

Anyway, I had to manually edit the config files (no big deal), but I was trying to figure out best practices for creating incoming trunks in the GUI.

When you click Service Providers, the help text says:

Service Providers are outbound lines used to allow the system to make calls to the real world. Trunks can be VoIP lines or traditional telephony lines.

There is no mention of using them for incoming trunks.

I used that section to create one incoming trunk and one outgoing trunk. Really it’s not filled in with anything super useful. It was just to get the corresponding trunk_1 and trunk_2 entries generated in users.conf.

With the incoming trunk set up, I went to the incoming calls panel and added a rule saying any calls matching 2221112222 go to extension 1000, which is a dummy extension for the main menu. I have the 3102 PSTN-To-VoIP Gateway Setup have a dial plan of (S0<:2221112222)

As for the outgoing trunk I’m using them in the Calling Rules.

Anyway, I was just curious what most people are doing and what is the right way. I’ve seen some solutions where people use extensions for the incoming trunk, and then just use the dial plan to ring an extension of the main menu.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
– Jason