Best Free Softphone

Well for starters, I used a Linksys PAP device with the fax machine plugged into its FXS port. The PAP was registered to my PBX/VOIP server. I was using ULAW codec aswell. I never had a single error recieving faxes, I only had the problem sending them.

Now I must add that I didnt spend much time troubleshooting the problem, so it may have been easy to resolve. At the time I was really involved with the diaplan setup. I gave up to soon perhaps.

I say give it a shot, If your jitter is low and you have a clean channel with enough bandwidth it should work.

Does the g729 codec really only use 8kbps? (cause i just baught one and it said g.729 8kbps codec???)

gsm used 80-90kbps on my network? i can belive that g729 uses so little>?

I bought one licence to test it out, it might solve my problems.

How do i go about installing the licence i purchased to my freePBX system?

Installing the G.729 codec is straightforward, you simply add the required pieces of software to the machine running asterisk. As I understand things the codec is restricted to that machine only after registration. So you download, Run the registration tools. Done.
This is the way its done with digium purchased codecs.

Now as far as G.729 being 8kb/s, its true. The payload is 8kb/s but there is ip overhead to consider, and from what ive gathered with G.729 the header information can outweigh the payload. I find that funny.

GSM - 13 Kbps (full rate), 20ms frame size
iLBC - 15Kbps,20ms frame size: 13.3 Kbps, 30ms frame size
G.711 - 64 Kbps,
G.722 - 48/56/64 Kbps
G.729 - 8 Kbps, 10ms frame size
Speex - 2.15 to 44.2 Kbps
ITU G.726 - 16/24/32/40 Kbps

I took the codec info from voip-info.org/wiki/view/Codecs.

But i am currently using GSM and on the wireless bridge that the voip crosses over, and on the wireless device it has a throughput graph. it says it uses 80kbps? not 20?

Ok,

I bought the g729 codec and i followed the install instructions, It shows up as bbeing installed.

But now how do i test if the VoIP phone is using g.729?

Cause it has 8 options and u just set the prioroty, so even if i have made g.729 1st it might still be using gsm?

Where in asterisk now can i see if its using g.729?

Lets look at this logically. As far as the GSM codec consuming 80kbps, That is likley two channels being used concurrently. You know both the up and down streams being measured as one. If your priorities are set right you should also be using the G.729 codec first. Now how the codec gets divied out probably goes to what calls for it first. Would it be you, When you pick up your phone and make a call. Or, Would it be asterisk using it to answer an incoming call from a provider, whom themselves are using G.729. Asterisk does not need G.729 licenses to pass the media along it only needs them when you transcode.

For instance if Asterisk is not transcoding the media,You could use two G.729 enabled endpoints in a call and no licenses would be required.

Ok so i bought that 729 codec and followed hte instructions, so as far as i am concerned it is installed correctly.

Now i tried a test call from my laptop (gsm) to grandstream voip phone (ext: 18) set to use g.729 as 1st codec.

And then in asterisk it shows this:

It says ulaw for the voip phone (18)

Whats this mean?