Basic sip configuration

hello,
I am looking forward to configure the basic sip, 2 users who can login via ekiga and can communicate and send messages to each other.
please help
thank you.

Basic examples are in configs/sip.conf.sample and configs/extensions.conf.sample.

Further documentation can be found at asteriskdocs.org/

The forum for requesting peer support is Asterisk Support, however, you may need paid support, in which case you want the Biz and Jobs one.

sip.conf file :

extensions.conf

And as David said Further documentation can be found at asteriskdocs.org/

Best practice is to use type=peer and to not use the extension number as the phone’s user name. type=peer should have no adverse consequences. Secure device names require a slightly more complex dialplan.

The extensions.conf is 5 lines longer than the minimum requrement (altough it will need to be longer if you follow the security best practice and use unguessable device names).

Thanks for the recommendations David, I agreed with you about not use the extension number as the phone’s user name. I just tried to make this as simple as possible for newbie. And related to the change the type from friend to peer it wont make a big difference for him. and even the same asterisk guide that you suggested him to read , the type is friend.

[quote][general]
autokill=yes ; don’t stall for a long time if other endpoint doesn’t respond
srvlookup=yes ; enable DNS SRV lookups for outbound calls

office-phone ; template for IAX-based office phones
type=friend ; Asterisk will allow calls to and from this phone
host=dynamic ; inform Asterisk that the phone will tell us where
; it is on the network
secret=my5UP3rp@s5! ; a secure password – which means DON’T USE THIS ONE!
context=LocalSets ; the context where incoming requests will enter the dialplan
disallow=all ; reset the available voice codecs
allow=ulaw ; prefer the ulaw codec
allow=alaw ; but also allow the alaw codec

0000FFFF0004 ; define our first phone with the office-phone template

0000FFFF0005 ; define another phone with our office-phone template[/quote]

The extensions.conf it is just the basic for internal communications between peers. I supposed he is using this for a home based environment and learning. This is not and advanced Asterisk class and if so, this is like the math he need to learn basic 1 2 3 4 5 6… first and then jump to Algebra

For two real numbers x and y, x2 = y2 implies x = y or x = -y.