"Bad file descriptor" and other problems moving to 1.8

This is under OS X 10.5 on a PPC Mac. For several days I’ve been trying to move a long-running and relatively simple 1.6.x setup to 1.8.x with some eventual success but remaining crippling problems. I started with an installation of a download of the release version, and then updated to a latest build via SVN. (After the latter, at least it would play my greeting again.)

Biggest problem is this error that starts sometime after a call has exited non-zero and apparently finished all of its business. It repeats rapidly over and over until I kill the process or it eventually kills itself:

CL[Jan 26 00:14:46] ERROR[94435]: asterisk.c:2218 ast_el_read_char: poll failed: Bad file descriptor
I>[Jan 26 00:14:46] ERROR[94435]: asterisk.c:2218 ast_el_read_char: poll failed: Bad file descriptor
[Jan 26 00:14:46] ERROR[94435]: asterisk.c:2218 ast_el_read_char: poll failed: Bad file descriptor
*[Jan 26 00:14:46] ERROR[94435]: asterisk.c:2218 ast_el_read_char: poll failed: Bad file descriptor
CL[Jan 26 00:14:46] ERROR[94435]: asterisk.c:2218 ast_el_read_char: poll failed: Bad file descriptor
I>[Jan 26 00:14:46] ERROR[94435]: asterisk.c:2218 ast_el_read_char: poll failed: Bad file descriptor
[Jan 26 00:14:46] ERROR[94435]: asterisk.c:2218 ast_el_read_char: poll failed: Bad file descriptor
*[Jan 26 00:14:46] ERROR[94435]: asterisk.c:2218 ast_el_read_char: poll failed: Bad file descriptor

etc. etc.

Anyone have any clues where this sort of thing would come from? there has been some change since my last tinkering as the error used to say: ERROR[74556], and it now shows messages about cleaning up and exiting cleanly when I manually cancel the process.

…edited here to remove section on audio problem which I solved, see reply 1 below.

Also… false errors in the console after the call, before the endless error. Says it can’t write the csv, read-only database. But, it is writing to the csv. I had it start recording the voicemail to a tmp file, and now it says it can’t rename/move it to its real file. But it did.

addendum and errata on the audio issue part of the above: the .WAV is supposed to be a wav49. I list 3 formats, wav49 gsm & wav, but only two files show up, and it would appear that it is maybe only the wav file that gets the ‘no such file’ error on mv. so, maybe that is correct, although the console message earlier said that it was writing the file.

Later… reasoned that there was an issue with both WAV formats having the same file name. I used to get the first one listed, and somehow in 1.8 I ended up getting the last one listed. So, I removed wav from the list and now I seem to have retained the wav49 as desired.

Nothing? Nobody has any ideas on trying to trace down this “Bad file descriptor” problem? Oh, well, I can’t very well run this thing if it is going to barf and die after every call.

If you want to report a bug, you should be using issues.asterisk.org/jira/

You will need to specify the exact version, and will probably be asked to enable debugging output and include it.

This forum may be appropriate for workarounds for known bugs (the bug tracker is not a place to get workarounds).