Background IVR menu works but breaks audio

Hello - I’m using Asterisk behind NAT with a sipgate.co.uk account and have everything working for incoming, outgoing and local calls. The problem arises when I try to use an IVR menu for the incoming calls. The menu works and my destination extension is called. However, when used in this fashion there is no audio either way.

[code];1. Working context
[incoming]
exten => 266XXXX,1,NoOp(Incoming call on sipgate.co.uk)
exten => 266XXXX,n,Dial(SIP/localuser,30)

;2. Broken context
[incoming]
exten => 266XXXX,1,NoOp(Incoming call on sipgate.co.uk)
exten => 266XXXX,n,Answer()
exten => 266XXXX,n,Wait(2)
;this recording has options - pressing 3 will call localuser
exten => 266XXXX,n,Background(ivr2)

;localuser is called as per IVR menu
exten => 3,1,Dial(SIP/localuser,30)[/code]

So what is actually happening when the menu option is selected? The target extension is rung and I can answer the incoming call - it’s just there is no audio at all. When either end hangs up that is recognised.

What is the difference between the incoming call going directly to an extension as opposed to filtering through Background? Would NAT requirements change? Is there anything special about it at all? What should I be looking for in the console output?

Many thanks!
n

I don’t know 100% what happened here but I can say this is fixed.

I was fooled by the fact that regular incoming/outgoing calls seemed to be working. However, the introduction of an IVR and/or extra dialtones was causing Asterisk to issue re-invites to a ‘remote RTP’ session. After rechecking my config I noticed that first of all I had not set canreinvite=no&nat=yes on the incoming SIP and secondly my NAT’d RTP port range on my router was incorrect.

So actually my setup was already broken but I just didn’t know it :smile:

A massive thanks to people that have contributed material at www.voip-info.org!