Astrisk? Questions from a newbie

I have just downloaded the Astrisk PDF document and will get cracken. But maybe someone could give me a few tips to make this a little easier.

Astrisk is very apealing for my home. I am moving and building a home that will wind up having close to 20 phone jacks. What hardware would I need for Astrisk to allow 20 jacks with potentialy 4 incoming lines.

I don’t want all lines to hit the server then the server to forward the call to the appropriate phone. This is something i am trying to setup using the Plutohome project.

I also was hoping to use “normal” phones in the house and possibly use Voip for outgoing calls.

If what I am asking possible what hardware will I need. I am guessing i will need a plain on network card for the Voip to the outside world and for the outside world comming in. But from that point what do I need to do. Do I have to get a digium wildcard that supports the 20 some odd lines for 3 grand?

Is there an easiser way?

I am thinking of picking up the O’Riely book on Astrisk will it be a good resourse?

What features are you trying to gain by adding Asterisk to a Plutohome system? Plutohome has telephony included in it…

If you’re building from scratch, save yourself some money and ditch the RJ11 jacks. Just wire the entire house with ethernet and use IP phones, etc. You’ll save a bundle.

Yes pluto has astrisk built into it. I am just trying to learn how to use everything. Pluto’s interface is nice and all but I would rather know how it all works.

I want to use the features that pluto offers.

Confrence caling
Caller ID
Voicemail
Having calls routed to where I am closest too.

I agree about the IP phones. My wife and I just spend 200 dollars on a new phone so telling her we have to buy all new ones would give her a heart attack. Now I can return them if you can tell me where to find a good place to see all IP phones. I have to have a wireless handset. The one we just got supports up to 8. It is a panasonic. I really like that brand and have never had much trouble with it.

I would go IP in a heartbeat if someone can help me find panasonic cordless phones that support VoIP

Well, you can get a semi-smooth transition from the analog to the digital world. Check the Sipura and other ATA’s (Analogue Telephone Adaptor) out. They allow you to keep your analog phones (using all their features (call waiting signaling, callerid, etc.)) but connect via IP. As time go by you will replace the outdated/broken analog phones with IP phones (whose prices go down -or their features up- continuously the longer you wait). If you are in a non-business- (I actually would even do it in a business- ) environment, you may look at eBay. I got a Sipura SPA-2100 for around 30$ and connect 2 (two) analog phones with it to *. ( search.ebay.com//search/search.d … e=voip+ata => “68 items found for voip ata” ) and buy them only if they are UNLOCKED or you are willing to go through the unlocking/hacking.

[quote=“Joshua”]Yes pluto has astrisk built into it. I am just trying to learn how to use everything. Pluto’s interface is nice and all but I would rather know how it all works.

I want to use the features that pluto offers.

Confrence caling
Caller ID
Voicemail
Having calls routed to where I am closest too.

I agree about the IP phones. My wife and I just spend 200 dollars on a new phone so telling her we have to buy all new ones would give her a heart attack. Now I can return them if you can tell me where to find a good place to see all IP phones. I have to have a wireless handset. The one we just got supports up to 8. It is a panasonic. I really like that brand and have never had much trouble with it.

I would go IP in a heartbeat if someone can help me find panasonic cordless phones that support VoIP[/quote]